Euthanasia - what would you do?

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is a very personal decision and depends on a wide variety of factors, but I wanted to present some information about my boy to see what you all thought. I think it says something that I'm even asking this question, but I'd like to get some outside perspective. I think it's sometimes difficult to make decisions when you're so close to a situation and have seen it evolve.

- My cat is 19 years old.
- On June 21, he was diagnosed with an abdominal mass. His intestines had been pushed down a bit by the mass.
- He has been alright with Prednisone, an antacid and Fortiflora every 12 hours. He also gets 100 subq fluids every other day.
- He does not often eat an entire meal. He is interested in food probably 80 percent of the time. The rest of the time, I try different combinations and that works somewhat well. Despite his interest, I usually end up wasting half the meal. He laps his food up instead of biting it.
- He has terrible teeth and arthritis in his legs, hips and back. He can get around and even goes down the stairs by himself if I'm not there to help, but he is in obvious pain when walking. He bobbles up and down, and groans a bit when he lays down.
- Most days, he sleeps in one of two dark, cozy areas we've set up for him. He will occasionally move from place to place, but this is usually when he wants water, food or has to use the litter box.
- He does enjoy going outside still. It depends on whether he's having a good day, but he loves to lay out in the heat for hours upon hours.
- He has not had a significant bowel movement since Saturday. He did pass a smaller stool yesterday, but mostly tries to go and only gets a small amount of liquid out. I have tried giving him a small amount of Lactulose to help, but he hasn't gone to the litter box since getting that.
- Since diagnosis, he has gone from 19 pounds to 14.5.

If this were your cat, would you put him down?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hesitate to answer this question because there really is no right or wrong answer and as you say it is a personal decision.  I know people say you will know when it's time.  I guess I'm not as in tune to animals as the people who say that because I have always struggled with knowing when the time has come.  He is still eating some which is a sign that he hasn't given up but cats are very good at hiding pain.  He is having obvious signs of pain so that is a bad sign.  Just from what you have said I would be thinking seriously about having him PTS.  By arranging to have it done you will be avoiding his having a very painful and scary end or having to take him somewhere like an ER to have it done.  But that's my personal choice you need to make your own choice.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you want to talk to him, I use an animal communicator I recommend. Her website is Enlightened Animals. Her name is Ellen Kohn, and she is incredibly sweet and compassionate, and has helped many members of TCS with their kitties. :heart2: Her fee schedule is a pop-up button at the bottom of the services page; you can call her before deciding anything to talk to her about what she does and how she does it with no commitment on your part. :hugs: :heart2: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Her number is on the website. :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband and I had to make that decision 3 years ago when my cat had chronic renal failure.  Many years prior to that, we had already decided we weren't going to take any heroic measures to prolong her life, so when it came time to make that final decision, we considered her quality of life and watched her to let us know when it was time.  We took several days after talking to our vet for us to get comfortable with our decision and for us to say our goodbyes.  It was during that time when I knew she was ready to go.  I didn't want her to suffer at the end of her life, so we just let her do her thing for a couple of days and then made the call to the vet.

m0rdecai89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not put him down, if I had all those problems myself I would want to keep fighting and why treat our pets any differently. I feel when he is ready to go he will go off somewhere by himself and stop fighting but to me it seems as though he is still willing to fight and enjoy what time he has left, just give him lots of love and affection.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What do his eyes tell you?

Based on recent personal experience, cats really do understand, communicate with us, albeit not in English.

Be very honest with him, don't bother with flowerly language.  Ask him what he wants to do.

(I also recommend when the time comes to find a vet who will do the procedure where you live or his favorite spot.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input. I am hoping to avoid his suffering and have already done my research on a wonderful vet who will come to my home, give me time to say goodbye and do a paw print imprint afterwards. At this point, we're just waiting to see how he progresses. I am hoping he uses the litter box tonight and will come outside with me. If not, I'll just have to take it day by day and see what he's telling me. Such a difficult decision, and the first time I'll be losing a furbaby. I've had him for 19 years and he has done so much for me; I hope to take care of him as he has for me.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is so hard and only you will really know when to do this: I share those views that say listen to your cat, look at his eyes.

You mention that he still enjoys sitting out in the heat on good days, and still takes some food. I assume that the dental issues and arthritic pain have been longer term and it is the abdominal mass that has started to raise this question for you, not that he has been showing some discomfort walking and difficulty lying down. Think about what ever the vet has said to you when you were there, call them back if you need to check what is happening with regard to bowel movements and food in-take,. Then spend time with your cat and watch, look at his eyes, try to see how he feels. If it is the right time I'm sure you will feel it. Listen to your heart. 

I had to make this decision a 2 1/2 years ago and remember everything like it was yesterday. I had had a visit to the vet and knew my baby's time was getting shorter, but like others have said, I needed a couple of days with her, watching and listening, and then I knew she had had enough. She was nearly 22 and had been arthritic for many years, had gradually become blind, but finally her balance was affected and she changed - she was tired and everything was a struggle for her, her little zest for life had gone.

So sorry, I see you have posted since I was writing this, I wish you well over the coming day. 

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he were here, I wouldn't send him off just yet.

I would immediately switch from Lactulose to MiraLAX. Lactulose can increase his calcium levels (and cause new problems), and all of my cats detest its 'yucky-ness'. MiraLAX is a tasteless white powder that can be mixed with wet food. More here: http://www.felineconstipation.org/prevention.html#OsmoticLaxativesPrevent

I'd be getting a Rx for buprenorphine from the Vet. This is a pain med which is easily administered by squirting a tiny amount into the side of the mouth - it's absorbed by the gums, not through the gut, so shouldn't be swallowed. It will come in small, one-dose syringes. I would ask the Vet to prepare it using the small 1ml vials because there is a preservative added to the 5 ml vials which gives the medication an unpleasant taste. This would cover off the dental and arthritic pain.  All of that is predicated on a discussion with the Vet about this mass, associated pain and the implications of using buprenorphine - perhaps there'll be none.

I think I'd be using the Rx food http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-ad-caninefeline-critical-care-canned.html   It's (usually) irresistible, soft and mushy, has high protein and fat. Adding a small amount of water easily produces s slurry mixture which, I think, he would lap up. I wouldn't worry about wasting any of it....I'd be putting out a small amount on a plate, keeping the rest well sealed in the fridge, and refilling the plate as I needed to, allowing him to graze whenever he wants.

His litterbox would have the front side cut down for easy entrance.

And, of course, I'd be watching for signs from him.....signs that say 'I'm ready to leave now'.

Now - he isn't here, and what I had to do to answer you was to imagine what you wrote superimposed on one of my own cats. And - all of what I wrote comes from the relationship I have with that cat. I know that, whatever you choose to do, it will be coming from your relationship. That is key to your decisions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xthoroughbred

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion on MiraLAX. I will definitely look into it. My boy seems to like the Lactulose but something tasteless without the calcium is always good.

He's currently eating Fancy Feast because its all I can get him to eat. The vet put him on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Rabbit and Venison when he was diagnosed. He ate that for about a month but has been iffy about it lately.

I would love to give him a pain medicine but haven't had luck with any over the years. Metacam (which was given unknown to us) put him into kidney failure, and Buprenex (is that the Buprenorphine?) made him look super drugged and high. There was another I tried but I can't remember the name right now. Nothing seemed to work, but I'll ask the vet for another recommendation.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...Buprenex (is that the Buprenorphine?) made him look super drugged and high. There was another I tried but I can't remember the name right now. ...
 Buprenex is the trade/brand name for one manufacturer's buprenorphine. A side effect can be "drugged" - I've seen more relaxation, though. The dosage is variable within limits, so a little less would also mean less side effect. High? Well, considering where 'he's at'...maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing

The other pain med might have been tramadol.....that one, from my reading of other peoples' experiences, is more likely to cause unease and anxiety....unusual vocalization would be one of its side effects.

I'd still encourage you to try that 'recovery' food. It really has a unique taste - it's pork based - all of my guys come looking for more!

I'm so sorry and angry to hear about the Metacam experience....imagine if his kidneys hadn't been damaged by that...he might have had a few more years ahead of him now.

And, after I wrote, I read about your housecall Vet. I think it's wonderful that he will be able to leave peacefully from home.

I have a feeling you'll be keeping us posted as you travel along this part of the road with him.

dragulescugirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are having to face such a heartbreaking decision.

With my childhood cat we took him to the vet who started proclaiming we should just put him down right then and he ould go prep the needles (first and last time seeing THAT doctor). My great-aunt burst into tears and I said we have to think about it. At that point my cat - who had been very lethargic and quiet for days - got up, MEOWED very loudly, and walked back into his carrier. I knew he wanted to go home. We were given some pain meds for him and two days later he went to sleep in his favorite spot after a tuna breakfast and that was that. They will communicate with you. 

My current cat Kinko has small cell lymphoma. We are doing everything to help him and luckily he is progressing back to good health. But I know there may come a day when things could take a turn for the worst. Kinko and I are so connected; he gives me kisses everyday and sleeps in my arms at night, he lets me cuddle him when I am overjoyed and has wiped away my tears. I deeply know that when he is ready, he will let me know completely. It will break my heart but I plan to at least do it at home, on my bed, and with him in my arms. I want to be the last face he sees. 

Please consider trying a few other options, but I believe you will know when it is time. 

Good luck, hugs, and energy sending your way! 

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our first cat, a female lynx point siamese named Woodstock, lived with us for 19 years, 6 months and 6 days before we both made the decision to put her to sleep. She had arthritis and no matter the medication, the arthritis progressively got worse. She started to eat less and less. Drank water less and less too because she was in discomfort. The day we decided to call our vet, she cried in pain which was the first time she did this and we both knew right there and then, we had to make the hardest decision for her and for us. That fateful day, she totally quit eating and drinking.

We took her to our vet's office, whose now retired and she was the last animal patient he had for that day. We intentionally asked for his last appointment since we both wanted to spend the entire day with her. To make a long story short, after the procedure was done, we took her body back home and buried her in our backyard. We only made one mistake which we regret. We should have made the vet come to our home to do the procedure.

Our present cat, a male mackerel tabby colored rumpy manx, just turned 16 years old in June. If we have to put Tiger to sleep sometime in the future, our present female vet said she would come to our home and do the procedure. The last thing a treasured animal's eyes should see in life, if this procedure is done for both cat and dog in my opinion, is his/her home surrounded by the people who love them and not a vet's office.