Essential Oils (not Ingested)

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was reading a remedy to repel a cat from something- 1 pt lemongrass and 3 pts water. Would that be toxic to the cat if they simply smelled it and didn't ingest it? I'm thinking of wiping down the edge of the object with that mixture. Tabasco won't work in this case, it's too sticky and it's an object I have to use.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on what the object is, you could use your concoction and drench/soak cotton balls with it and then place them in a potpourri jar or a mason jar with holes poked in the top to prevent them even attempting to lick or ingest it. Then, just place some jars around the object.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the sound of this. I wouldn't risk it. Find something at a pet supply store or ask your vet.

Source: Lemongrass & Cats

Cats vs. Lemongrass Essential Oil

Concentrated as an essential oil, lemongrass can poison cats. Unlike dogs, people and horses, cats lack a liver enzyme (glucuronyl tranferase) required to break down the components of most essential oils, including lemongrass. If ingested, these components build up and can reach toxic levels or cause liver damage.

To avoid trouble, keep essential oil of lemongrass away from cats. Another option is to get a hydrosol form of lemongrass instead of an extract, which reduces its potential toxicity.

If your cat regularly consumes essential oil of lemongrass, contact a veterinarian. Damage is slow to accumulate, so symptoms may not show up until it's too late.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't like exposing my cats to any essential oils unless it's really needed. They are too much of a grey area and potentially dangerous in a way that builds up over time. Even if the essence itself is safe, the wrong oil base can be just as dangerous. Since companies don't always disclose the formula and purity isn't guaranteed it just isn't a risk I take.

If you tell us what you are trying to keep the cat away from we might be able to give some alternative suggestions. If it's a hard surface some double sided tape could work or aluminum foil works for some cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunoichi9280

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took an old medicine bottle, cut a few small pin sized holes in it, and stuffed gauze damp with lemongrass oil and water in it. Then I put the lid on and put it right beside the computer (I'm trying to get him off my laptop computer- it's my own fault, I know- it was cute when he curled up in the corner, not so much now that he's on the keyboard doing all sorts of stuff. I really wasn't able to use the computer at all without locking him out of the room, which I don't want to do). I hope that was ok; I did that based on the first suggestion, and it seems to be working. Even if he knocked it over, there's no standing water in there; it's all been absorbed by the gauze- I tested it to make sure. I don't see double sided tape or foil working because I need to use it too. I'm open to other suggestions.