Essential Oils in Soap for Human Use Only -- is this okay?

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I don't own any indiluted essential oils and I don't have a diffuser. What I do have are some handmade soaps that list essential oils among their ingredients. These may include anise, peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, etc. I will definitely not be applying these soaps to any of my three cats, and when not in use by me the soap is either in a cupboard or on a soap dish five feet up on the side of the shower where a cat cannot get to it.

Is this alright? What about if I have just gotten out of the shower and go to pet a cat with hands that just had peppermint soap on them?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the soaps are only used as you describe and the cats never have any contact with them, you should be fine. Some of these soaps are very strong scented though, so if you sense irritation from contact with your hands or the smell, get rid of the soap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm wondering if I should shut the bathroom door, even.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't use anything scented.....at all....and go out of my way to get products which are unscented, so I am probably biased on this account but if what you are using is that strong, yes, shut the door. Do your cats react to the scents at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swanjun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not so far, no. Usually the products I use smell nice while I'm showering but don't linger on me, so I think they might not be terribly strong. I did order some new soaps that are peppermint/spearmint, so it's those I was most concerned about.