Essential oil/room spray around cat

nashlain4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I’m quite the paranoid cat mom, so I know I’m likely being crazy! But, I have a room spray that’s mainly essential oils. I honestly rarely use it, only when the litter box is smelling especially, or if company is coming over. And when I use it, I spray it directly at the ceiling, just to freshen the room some.

Today I used it.. sprayed it directly at the ceiling and pretty much right after my cat walked into the room I used it in. I didn’t think anything of it until a bit afterward I noticed the top of her head and back smelled like the spray. I wiped her off with damp towel once I noticed, so I don’t think she groomed herself much in the time in between. She still smells a bit like the spray, but I can’t imagine there’s much on her after wiping her down and the fact that she wasn’t even directly sprayed.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced similar - now reading all the articles about the danger of essential oils to cats is making me freak!

Thanks!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey! I just actually did research on this because my mom has a diffuser that she wants to use even though I'm 100% against it. I found an article, maybe it can help put your mind at ease a bit?

I think it's only certain types of oils that you have to worry about but maybe if you're concerned, use air fresheners instead if you're just trying to freshen up for company and stuff? I use febreeze and I think it's way better at handling smells than oils anyway.

I also bought a wax warmer and I LOVE that thing, usually helps with odors when they go to the bathroom in the cat box, etc etc