Escaped Cat In Heat

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. My friends kitty, who will be 1 years old in a July, has been in heat. Horribly. I’ve had probably 6 female cats in my lifetime, 5 unfixed, and I’ve never seen one in heat like this. She’s been crying 24/7 (I haven’t even seen her nap lately..) and trying to mate with random objects, like the door. For the last 4 months she’s been living at my friends boyfriends house (which is about 2 hours away) because my friends landlord wouldn’t allow her to stay at her house. Her boyfriend really wasn’t feeding her as much as he should have been. He took her off of the wet food because it was “too much work” to keep buying. She was eating just dry food, and not much of it. Due to the distance between their houses and my friends work schedule, she couldn’t check up on her very often. Her landlord just allowed the cat back into her house. She’s so tiny. She looks like she could be about 3 months old. Anyway, my friends boyfriend was at her house and he left the window with a broken screen open. The cat got out at about 10 hours ago. When I get out of work Im going to go help my friend look for her, and we’re going to put up posters. But what worries me is that she’s in heat. When we find her I think there’s a big chance that she’ll be pregnant because there’s A LOT of stray cats in my neighborhood. Because she’s so skinny, will she even be able to carry the babies? Will they be born sick? Will they even be born at all? I’m so worried that she’ll get pregnant and not be able to care for the kittens or even herself. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have right with your worries. If you arent eager to have the kittens, the easiest solution to all problems is to simply spay her as soon she returns, and the heat is over.... Spaying when in heat is more tricky and dangerous if the vet isnt experienced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had previously suggested that my friend get her spayed, but she wasn’t a big fan of this because she wanted to mate her later on when she gets some weight on her. I’m not a big fan of this but it’s not my cat so what can I do haha. If she comes back and she’s already mated with a male cat, can she still safely be spayed?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she comes back and she’s already mated with a male cat, can she still safely be spayed?
Yes, definitely. A cat can be safely spayed quite late into a pregnancy, of course the main thing is how far along is the owner comfortable with aborting the kittens. Which is why I said it's best to do it before the eggs implant, so the owner won't feel bad about terminating a pregnancy.

My vet even recommends letting a cat get pregnant and waiting a week before spaying, because he says a very early pregnancy spay is easier than an in-heat spay :/. I'm not really comfortable doing that on purpose but it is entirely safe at least.

If your friend is reluctant, have her talk to the vet to get all the risks laid out for her. Then she can make an educated decision.

There is a mismatch hormone shot for dogs, it'll prevent pregnancy if given soon enough after mating. I'm not sure if it's available for cats, you could call around to vets to see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I’m going to make my friend come to the vet with me and hopefully she’ll realize that it’s better for the her and the cat if she gets spayed.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please continue what you are doing and encourage your friend to spay her cat. Her health is most important, and in serious jeopardy. Each heat cycle also increases her odds of reproductive cancer down the line. It’s just a needless risk.

If she wants kittens, encourage her to foster when she’s allowed cats in her own home.