Epakitin effectiveness with other supplements?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’d like to start Enzo on Epakitin as he’s in stage 2 CKD. I already give him Aminavast and PetWellbeing Kidney Support Gold. I’m wondering if the Epakitin will still be useful/effective when combined with other kidney supplements?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi

I saw the aminavast says it doesn't react with food or medicines although that statement doesn't answer your question. It feels a little like you're throwing the book at his CKD. Can I ask if you're feeding a low phosphorus food like Evangers or Weruva, or Weruva WX?

This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com the ins and outs of managing feline chronic kidney disease

Water intake is of utmost importance in all kidney patients. Polyuria can quickly lead to dehydration. Frequent vomiting and bouts of anorexia also contribute to dehydration in these patients much more quickly than in healthier cats. Feeding canned diets that are high in moisture (>75% as-fed basis), adding water to the existing canned or dry diet, and making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried. Canned diets are preferred because of their water content. When further diluting diets to increase water consumption, it must be taken into consideration that the calorie:volume ratio is also being diluted, and pets may need to consume a greater volume of food to maintain body weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aminavast and Pet Wellbeing Kidney Support Gold are essentially 'holistic' supplements; the former contains amino acids/peptides, and the latter is a combination of herbs. Epakitan is a phosphorus binder and contains calcium carbonate/chitosan. It seems as if the latter serves a different purpose than the supplements your cat is on now. So, I don't see an overlap, but I do think you should talk to your vet about the use of all three.

Stage 2 CKD, per IRIS - in simplified terms - is when the creatinine level is anywhere between 1.6 and 2.8 mg/dl. It is typically not seen as necessary to start a phosphorus binder in Stage 2 CKD unless your cat's phosphorus value is over 4.6 mg/dl. There are other things to consider, but this is a place to start. The one thing about Epakatin is that because it contains a calcium-based binder, a cat's calcium level should be within the normal range; if it is high, using this product would require the calcium level to be monitored. If it elevates the calcium level, then another non-calcium-based binder might be more appropriate.

Have you used Tanya's web site as an informational tool (Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org))? If not, you might want to start reading through the web site. Very extensive so it will take some time to go through it, but you can peruse the many topics and start with areas you are most interested in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi

I saw the aminavast says it doesn't react with food or medicines although that statement doesn't answer your question. It feels a little like you're throwing the book at his CKD. Can I ask if you're feeding a low phosphorus food like Evangers or Weruva, or Weruva WX?

This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com the ins and outs of managing feline chronic kidney disease

Water intake is of utmost importance in all kidney patients. Polyuria can quickly lead to dehydration. Frequent vomiting and bouts of anorexia also contribute to dehydration in these patients much more quickly than in healthier cats. Feeding canned diets that are high in moisture (>75% as-fed basis), adding water to the existing canned or dry diet, and making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried. Canned diets are preferred because of their water content. When further diluting diets to increase water consumption, it must be taken into consideration that the calorie:volume ratio is also being diluted, and pets may need to consume a greater volume of food to maintain body weight.
I have been getting him to eat Hills k/d prescription chicken stew food when I mix it with the Weruva low phosphorus food, so I’m extremely happy about that! I’m leaving towards holding off on the Epakitin unless his phosphorus levels climb. Currently they’re in the perfect range, according to my vet. I have several running water fountains and his water intake is great. The last paragraph you sent was definitely helpful! Thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aminavast and Pet Wellbeing Kidney Support Gold are essentially 'holistic' supplements; the former contains amino acids/peptides, and the latter is a combination of herbs. Epakitan is a phosphorus binder and contains calcium carbonate/chitosan. It seems as if the latter serves a different purpose than the supplements your cat is on now. So, I don't see an overlap, but I do think you should talk to your vet about the use of all three.

Stage 2 CKD, per IRIS - in simplified terms - is when the creatinine level is anywhere between 1.6 and 2.8 mg/dl. It is typically not seen as necessary to start a phosphorus binder in Stage 2 CKD unless your cat's phosphorus value is over 4.6 mg/dl. There are other things to consider, but this is a place to start. The one thing about Epakatin is that because it contains a calcium-based binder, a cat's calcium level should be within the normal range; if it is high, using this product would require the calcium level to be monitored. If it elevates the calcium level, then another non-calcium-based binder might be more appropriate.

Have you used Tanya's web site as an informational tool (Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org))? If not, you might want to start reading through the web site. Very extensive so it will take some time to go through it, but you can peruse the many topics and start with areas you are most interested in.
You bring up a great point about the phosphorus binder-his phosphorus levels are currently “perfect” according to my vet, so I think I’ll hold off on that and give it to him only if that changes. I have looked at Tanya’s CKD website and found a ton of useful information. Thank you so much!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my CKD kitty was diagnosed, we did not change food. We gave her a potassium supplement daily in tuna water and Standard Process Feline renal support daily. She did great and her kidney numbers improved.