Eosinphilic granuloma?

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven't posted here in a while. Our cat had this disorder back in November '22. Treated with prednisolone for a couple of months and seemed to make a full recovery. It seems it is starting to return now though. A little disconcerting. Anyone have any experience with dealing with this long term? Is is safe to just keep going on and off steroids? I remember the vet saying that some cats only have one episode of this, but it was sort of a who knows going forward.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a cat years ago who kept getting them. I’d take her to the vet, she’d get steroids, and it would clear up. Two or three months later, she’d get another. This went on quite awhile until I finally discovered that she was allergic to the teaspoon of milk I was giving her every morning. Once I stopped (much to her disgust :) ) it never happened again. Did your vet talk to you about allergies? For example, do you use glass or stainless steel bowls for food and water? Some cats react to plastic bowls. Flea allergies, food sensitivity, a number of things can cause it. You’ll have to experiment. The vet should be able to give you some ideas, too.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure they already told you to use stainless steel or porcelain dishes and wash daily. There is usually a trigger to a flare up. Finding out what the trigger is can be hard.
Short term Prednisolone should be fine to get it under control. There is still allot not known about what causes this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Have already gone to stainless and ceramic bowls/dishes. The Vet did suggest that it could be an allergy to chicken or fish. We did the elimination on fish and nothing changed, so we're now going to try chicken. Only other thing could be cat toys? Who knows where they come from or are made.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Braveheart has Plasma cell pododermatitis, her type is a form of Eosinophilic Granuloma - she had a bit on her belly too. For her they eventually used Doxycycline. She was on it for quite a long time but *knock on wood* it's never come back since.

One thing I know triggered it was a home made wool knitted blanket. I washed everything in hypoallergenic soap - but that blanket has to be tossed as that was a trigger for sure regardless.

I'm sure you would have washed everything already but just in case I thought I'd toss it out there for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, and medication suggestions. I'll certainly check with the vet at the next appt.