Eosinophilic Granuloma Question

whittwhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

I noticed a small bump on my cat, Tommie's, chin about a week ago. At first I though it was just raw or irritated because of switching him to canned food from dry; I thought that since wet food is messier and gets on his chin, it would cause him to lick his mouth more, thus causing a sore?) But after looking online today for something that looks like what he has, I believe he has a Eosinophilic Granuloma. I've noticed that he's been licking his bottom lip a lot as well.

I was wondering if any of you whose cats have had this before have noticed a certain amount of time it takes for the ulcer to develop? Like does it take a few weeks or months or is it just a matter of days? - or is it (probably) different for each cat and dependent on the cause of the ulcer? Right now I'm trying to rule out a food allergy or porcelain/plastic allergy since those are the simplest to treat and diagnose.

Tommie was diagnosed with FLUTD back in August and has since been completely on a canned food diet; he's been eating both Friskies and 9 Lives for about 3 months now. I believe that would rule out the cause potentially being a food allergy, right? But then again I guess it depends on how long it takes the EG to form.

I switched his bowl from a stainless steel rounded bowl to a porcelain saucer maybe a month or so ago. I switched that because the saucer is easier for him to eat the wet food out of w/o hitting his teeth on the top of the stainless steel bowl when he eats. I didn't know until now that cats could have an allergy to porcelain or plastic, so maybe that could have caused it?

Anyhow, I'm going to take him to the vet on Monday and figure out what it is for sure and how best to treat it - I just wanted to bring with me some ideas of what could have caused it so we'll know how to prevent it from coming back. Any suggestions on successful treatments? Treatments I've read about so far have been lysine, krill oil, fish oil, depomedrol, and then possibly antibiotics instead of steroids if possible. 

Thank you all for any help! I've included pics below for comparison - the first one is from Sept. 21st and the other two are from today.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know how long they take to develop but it does look very much like a rodent ulcer to me. Food can be tricky, allergies tend to show up quickly but intolerances tend to take longer (my girl can eat fish if it is a small component of a food for 3 weeks before it causes her an issue). I think porcelain is generally okay but yes, plastic bowls should be avoided. Sorry I'm not much more help than that, I know others on here will have more knowledge than me on this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whittwhitt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thank you so much!!

I wonder what kinds of additives or foods can cause it to occur? I've been switching his food flavors around pretty consistently for the last 3 months trying to find one that he absolutely loves (b/c he's still a little averse to wet food). But I think only this past week and a half he's been eating three flavors only - Mixed Grill by 9Lives and Turkey Giblets and Poultry Platter by Friskies.