Entropion

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
need some advice on my cats health. Keep in mind he is 10, was dumped and formally living outside all his life, and is fiv postive.

Recently I bought my cat into the vet because he had what looked like severe conjunctivitis. The vet looked and it turns out he has entropion, where the eyelid curls and scratches the eyeball. Sometimes herpes infection untreated can cause this, and being he is fiv positive his immune system is compromised so most likely this is the cause how he got this which is very sad living on the streets

Now the vet said the only way to fix this is surgery which I can’t do right now. The worst part about this is the vet refuses to give any eye antibiotics in the mean time to help reduce his infection knowing he is fiv positive and has never had antibiotics in his life. The eye daily has green pus and brown crust coming out and I wipe it multiple times a day with a tissue to prevent it from closing his eye. But that’s not helping fight any infection only making it look nicer.

I’m going back to the vet for a vaccine soon, if they refuse to give him meds is there some eye antibiotics I can buy online without a vet and use for a few days to try and reduce the infection and give him some relief?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use terramycin. It's available online and sometimes at pharmacies. It's OTC but it might be kept behind the counter so you'd have to ask for it.

A non-antibiotic eye salve would also have some protective/lubricatibg qualities if you don't want to use an antibiotic when there's no infection.