Entropion In European Maine Coons

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alaska's half uncle just had to be neutered due to Entropion. I know that it's a common and genetic problem in Maine Coons, especially the Euros. His father, mind you, is fine and shows no sign of it, but Alaska's eyes have been red lately. No sign of visible deformity, just some redness. He looks nothing like the pictures I've found of the deformity on Google. I'm probably just an overly protective cat mom worried over a routine eye infection, right? Longhairs in general are prone to those. The lighting in my place isn't good enough for me to get a solid picture at night without flash, making him close his eyes and ruining the whole thing, but if a photo helps, I can take one in the morning. Basically, his eyes are inflamed, but look normal otherwise. They don't even look swollen.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MistyDawn, I sent you a private message with some veterinary articles.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Alaska's possible eye infection. I would recommend checking with your vet if you have any concerns.

Here's an Article that may be helpful about eye infections in cats:
Eye Infections In Cats

Best of luck, please keep us updated. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all, and when my husband returns with my vehicle in a few days, we're taking him to the vet to get this straightened out. I have a ride for emergencies, but I try to use it only for emergencies.

Cheekz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MistyDawn, I sent you a private message with some veterinary articles.
Is it possible I could be sent these? I am looking into this and the internet is giving me so few answers

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible I could be sent these? I am looking into this and the internet is giving me so few answers
Sure, I'll just post them here so other people can see them too. One is about feline entropion in general with a mention of Maine Coons, the other one is about entropion in European Maine Coons specifically -- assuming you don't read Norwegian, you can read it by copying each bit into Google translate... that's what I did :)

Attachments