Entire family is against cats being indoor cats only

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. This is not the first time I post about this.
I live with my parents, we have three indoor cats, the oldest is 14 years old and the youngest just turned 1.
In the same block we live in, we have a neighbor who has at the moment, at least, 10 cats. He doesn't fix them, or feed them everyday, or care for them very much at all. This means they are almost feral, and very aggressive. I actually adopted one of them a few years ago, but the cat was sick because of the "food" he was having and he ended up dying around a year after we started caring for him, even with daily medical treatment.
When my oldest cats were still allowed to go out, they got into fights with those cats all the time, which resulted in constant infections. So around two, almost three years ago I decided they were going to be indoor cats. Our youngest cat has been indoor her whole life. I, we, adapted out lifes and home to make sure they have everything they need and have a good, healthy life. I take them outside to our backyard everyday so they have fresh air and can lay on the sun, but I'm always with them and make sure they are safe and don't go away. I pay for their food, medical care and everything they need. All I ask my parents for is to look for them while I'm working, which only consists to make sure they don't escape while they go in or out of the house.
Well. Today my dad left the door wide open while he talked to a neighbor and one of the cats got out. He was able to grab him and get him back inside quick, but the point is that he didn't even care to a quick look to see if the cat was close before leaving the door open. But since the cat didn't actually escape, I didn't complain or said anything at all.
Now we are at a family gathering, and the hole family is saying that having the cats inside is crazy, that is cruel for them. Even knowing the context. The worst part is that most of them have/had cats and some of them were missing and never came back.
I'm just tired of the fighting, of the comments. I don't judge their lifes, I don't tell them how I think they should do things at all. Why do I need to put up with their opinions?
Has anyone had problems like this? How did you resolve them, or manage them?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you able to build a catio or enclosure in your garden that will have some shelter from the sun and rain. It need not be a large area but somewhere the cats can stay when you are not home and that they will not be able to escape from or the other cats can't get into. There are lots of examples of catios on the internet of all sizes and hopefully you will find one that fits for your cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While it doesn't sound like your father is very attentive to the whereabouts of your cats, it doesn't seem to me that is he going against your desires to try to keep them indoors. I presume that holds true of your mother as well? If that is the case, when the topic comes up with other family members, remain calm and just tell them that the matter has been discussed before and that there is no reason to discuss it again. Then, change the subject. A few times of repeating this ought to work so that they don't even bother to bring it up.

If a catio/cat enclosure is not possible, you could set up some space in your bedroom as the cats' 'sanctuary', and when you plan to be away from the house you could place them in your room and close the door until you get back. If they have all their needs (food/water/litter box/toys) in that room, they should be fine until you return.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar situation back home with my older brother. He visits the house every weekend and we have one cat and 4 dogs. Pepsi the cat is strictly indoors and he can stroll the yard with a leash daily at least min an hour. My brother said cats should not be kept indoors. Good thing that is my house and he can't win over me.

as for you, you have great advices above. Tell also your parents the cons of a cat that is allowed freely outside. I believe that they will understand in the long run. And yes, each time you have to leave the house you can put the cats in your room with litterboxes, food and water to ease your worries of them being able to escape the house while you are gone. Or at least someplace in the house where your parents would not normally go to.

You are doing a great job!

LadyKhaos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been in this same problem since I got my second cat. I'm moving in December so soon won't have that problem but my dad did the same thing leaving the door wide open, thankfully I was there and was able to grab her before she got out, she has severe anxiety so if she got out she wouldn't be able to make it outdoors. Plus I've had cats stolen from me when I had indoor/outdoor cats so I dont trust putting them out anymore.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. This is not the first time I post about this.
I live with my parents, we have three indoor cats, the oldest is 14 years old and the youngest just turned 1.
In the same block we live in, we have a neighbor who has at the moment, at least, 10 cats. He doesn't fix them, or feed them everyday, or care for them very much at all. This means they are almost feral, and very aggressive. I actually adopted one of them a few years ago, but the cat was sick because of the "food" he was having and he ended up dying around a year after we started caring for him, even with daily medical treatment.
When my oldest cats were still allowed to go out, they got into fights with those cats all the time, which resulted in constant infections. So around two, almost three years ago I decided they were going to be indoor cats. Our youngest cat has been indoor her whole life. I, we, adapted out lifes and home to make sure they have everything they need and have a good, healthy life. I take them outside to our backyard everyday so they have fresh air and can lay on the sun, but I'm always with them and make sure they are safe and don't go away. I pay for their food, medical care and everything they need. All I ask my parents for is to look for them while I'm working, which only consists to make sure they don't escape while they go in or out of the house.
Well. Today my dad left the door wide open while he talked to a neighbor and one of the cats got out. He was able to grab him and get him back inside quick, but the point is that he didn't even care to a quick look to see if the cat was close before leaving the door open. But since the cat didn't actually escape, I didn't complain or said anything at all.
Now we are at a family gathering, and the hole family is saying that having the cats inside is crazy, that is cruel for them. Even knowing the context. The worst part is that most of them have/had cats and some of them were missing and never came back.
I'm just tired of the fighting, of the comments. I don't judge their lifes, I don't tell them how I think they should do things at all. Why do I need to put up with their opinions?
Has anyone had problems like this? How did you resolve them, or manage them?
are the 10 cats you mentioned actually the neighbors cats or feral? If he’s that cruel to them he should be reported to the authorities. I think the cats would be better off, at the least if they are trapped they would be spayed/neutered.
cats have litters very fast, within 4 months. I know because I took in a partly
feral female along with her 4-5 week old kittens and kept them inside, unfortunately when I took her inside she had already got pregnant again. She had 6 this time but I was able to find good homes for 3 and kept the rest (inside)
Thats how I’ve ended up with 12….but they are all fixed and never ever go outside
i hope you can find a solution for keeping your cats safe and inside…

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just keep them in your room while your out. That way if the door's get opened they can't get out. I had the same problem with my brothers I don't live with them. But when we found out my kitten had calsivirus he asked where a indoor cat had got it from. I explained that my boy was outdoors before I got him and he brought it into my home. My other cat got sick when we bought the kitten in. The realization of me dealing with cat flu in two cat's I think they started to understand and don't make comments anymore. I was lucky my oldest didn't get it bad he was vaccinated but the kitten was in a bad way.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would make sure the cats are locked away in a room while you are out since your family can not be trusted. The other option would be a catio as vd suggested where they can stay while you are out and block access back inside. That may not work for colder weather though. A cat fence which stops them jumping over it and stops others getting in and cat door may work too, but they could still be let out the wrong exit and be loose if your family won’t do what you ask.

Explain to your family again all of the many dangers that they can be exposed if let out by themselves. Explain that legally these are your cats and ask them again to please do what you ask to keep them safe.

Last edited:

Mozart's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Addressing the feral cats first. Look up Cat Rescue on Google for your area, call them and tell them there are a lot of feral cats in your neighborhood, you don't need to be specific or be as specific as you want, they will have the option of doing one of two things, Call the Humane Society and let them know what is going on, they can call Animal Control or handle the problem themselves.
If you can afford an outdoor enclosure that attaches to your bedroom window it would be a good idea or even better yet if you have a ground floor or basement level bedroom you could have a larger enclosure where they would be on the ground which would be more sturdy, I believe.
You could also mention that if your cats were let outside they could possibly bring fleas into your home! You could say you don't like the poison that is used in the meds to be put in or on your cat...just a thought! My son's cat Aria is a special needs cat and she is quite happy staying in his room when he is at work. I put my two male cats in the lower level and close the door and let her out and when I see she is back in his room I close the door and the "boys" are back at it. Her brother, for the most part, is good with her but she can be a spitfire so will let me know in no uncertain terms when he needs to be let downstairs with the other rowdy gang. I feel if you can get your parents on your side the rest of the relatives may keep their opinions more to themselves, it really depends on family dynamics, which can be quite problematic at times!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My tomcat is now 100% indoor.
- Two years ago I used to walk my cat- it is an unbelievable experience! I no longer do it.
- He adapted to the indoor environment, by selecting relax spots and "hunting" territory and by developing communication with us.
- Play is important for his health.

Cats are far away from their habitat (Libya). Agricultural land, forests, villages - these scenes are not suitable for the cats anyway. From this perspective, there is no difference between a house room and a city park - none of them resemble to Libyan habitat. :-).

We (wrongly) assume that there is difference because we judge with our human brain, not from the cats perspective.

Even so, why humans do not dwell in forests? Our body is adapted to forests, not to villas and roads :-). We cant even walk on cement surfaces, we must wear shoes to do so:-).

===

Everyday I see a cat colony in my neighborhood. The average lifespan of a cat in this colony is perhaps 2-3 years.
Cars and diseases kill them. Cat fights, bad people. Lack of food, rat poison.

===
Briefly, deciding to let my cat roaming outdoor would be a death sentence. No doubt about this.
I do not expand this conclusion in my case to all situations, the indoor-outdoor environment varies.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up with many cats and dogs, and they all lived outside. Even now, my parents have dogs and cats, and they have a pet door installed so all can enter and exit whenever they want. I would prefer that Pantera and Pimenta be able to go outside but reality doesn't care what I think. I live in an apartment, on the second floor. As a kid we had a large yard, and lived next to large patch of unused land, but here I live in the middle of the city. I have taken them out on a leash for short periods to explore, but that's it, no chance of letting them out on their own. The risks here are just too great. The rest of the time my veranda has served as an excellent catio