Energizer Kitten

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a little boy about 11 weeks old now. He's very sweet, but has more energy than I have ever seen in a kitten in 3 years of fostering. He seems to have so much even he doesn't know what to do with it all.

I have never seen him lay down for more than a minute straight. When he snuggles, he moves spots at least every 15 seconds. Even at night, he'll jump up and down from the bed 6+ times before I fall asleep (I'm sure he continues throughout at least some of the night- he is always in a different spot when I wake up.) He is EXTREMELY interactive. Constantly all over me, purrs 24/7 almost and you don't even need to do anything- he practically pets himself by moving around so much.

Now I don't mind it, in fact I think it's fun being his jungle gym- he's very gentle and purrs even when climbing me. However, at adoptions....it has been very hard to adopt him out. You can't hold him for more than a minute, because after that amount of time he NEEDS to move. SO he struggles and whines and people give him back saying he just isn't social or snuggly enough. The rescue keeps saying he needs to calm down and get more one-on-one time to help socialize him because he is acting 'freaky' (ie: the struggling.)

I have emailed them saying that he is the most wonderful, cuddly little thing, he just needs to move about more than most kittens...much more. I know that once he gets adopted, his family will realize this and that he is not unsocial.

Is there anything I can do to help him calm down a little bit at adoptions? He is definitely much worse there because of all the craziness at the pet store. I don't want to drug him or trick anyone into thinking he's just a lazy lap kitty. I always am there to explain his temperament and to make sure that the family understands that he will need plenty of room and patience. I have just been asked that he be able to sit in someone's arms for longer than 30 seconds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have not! I will try that this weekend, hopefully it will help! He is adorable and plenty of fun! The only thing left is for him to learn how to hit the brakes and learn his turn radius...still skidding into walls sometimes.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He sounds adorable.  Have you tried Rescue Remedy (Kid's version) by Bach?
When I was bringing Sheba home (300 miles)  I found that playing Bach Cello Suite and Concertos calmed her down enough that she just laid on her belly with her eyes closed.  If Bach helps, try the Unaccompanied Bach by Yo-Yo Ma.  His 5 million dollar cello has such a good vibe that I almost go to sleep whenever I listen.

wendyb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FYI - Rescue Remedy is a herbal blend used for natual stress relief by a bunch of rescue agencies.  I used it to bring Treasure home (4 mo old kitten) on the plane and she never even mewed and slept most of the way.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, whadda ya know.  I am stunned.  I thought that you were talking about good old JSB.   Try the Bach music anyway.  Even if it doesn't do anything for the kitten, it may help with your stress.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like he needs a playmate of a similar age, and needs to go with his playmate when he is adopted.  My own cats are orientals and they are usually manic.  When I went to see the first one at his breeders he was about 8 weeks old and ran around almost continuously for 2 hours!  I had two young cats at the time, and he went out, so he wasn't a pain in the house.

I feel that if you calm him down for adoption visits, then the people will be unhappy when his true nature shows when they take him home.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like he needs a playmate of a similar age, and needs to go with his playmate when he is adopted.  My own cats are orientals and they are usually manic.  When I went to see the first one at his breeders he was about 8 weeks old and ran around almost continuously for 2 hours!  I had two young cats at the time, and he went out, so he wasn't a pain in the house.

I feel that if you calm him down for adoption visits, then the people will be unhappy when his true nature shows when they take him home.
This is my thought, too. It is a very bad idea to try to disguise his nature, simply to get him adopted. He is likely to end up abused or tossed out the door.

I like the idea of matching him up with another high energy baby and adopting them as a pair only. But if that is not possible, full disclosure about his nature is crucial to his happiness.

When my Mazy cat Chose me, when I adopted her from the shelter, even though she was a beautiful cat, she had been passed over many times because she was unsocialized. She would reach out to scratch and bite anyone who reached for her. I was there for a kitten, but Mazy, even though she tried to scratch and bite me too, Chose me, and all thoughts of kittens left my mind :). The shelter manager was very honest about her nature, but I was sure I could take Mazy in hand, and I did, though it has taken a lifetime :heart3: There will be someone for this little guy, too, as long as you are honest about what he is like.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would never disguise him. I don't want him sleepy or off. I have simply been told that he needs to be able to be held at adoptions, which no one but me can do. And he does have playmates, I have 2 cats of my own that love to run about with him, plus any fosters coming through. I have been told that he appears unadoptable because no one can hold him and we don't have a whole lot of people willing to take on a cat that they can't hold.

I have told every person who has looked at him exactly how he is at home (which is much better than at adoptions.) I love the way he is. But he's ten times worse at adoptions and I keep being told he appears unsocial and not adoptable and that he needs to appear that way at adoptions, not just at home.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, he needs to be advertised as a high energy, extra playful kitten. There's sure to be lots of people who'd enjoy a kitten like that

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, he needs to be advertised as a high energy, extra playful kitten. There's sure to be lots of people who'd enjoy a kitten like that
If there weren't no-one would buy a Siamese or Oriental!  My two Orientals do the wall of death round the house most days, but they are 5 now.

However it does sound to me like he could be a real pest if he's adopted into a house where he's the only cat, or where there's a rather unplayful older cat.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there weren't no-one would buy a Siamese or Oriental!  My two Orientals do the wall of death round the house most days, but they are 5 now.
Or Ocicats 
 My 5 year olds are just as bad as the litters, but that's exactly why I chose the breed.

Do agree this little one would do best with company.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or Ocicats 
 My 5 year olds are just as bad as the litters, but that's exactly why I chose the breed.

Do agree this little one would do best with company.
They are worse in a way as they are larger, heavier and stronger!  But huge, huge fun.  And my Orientals are very affectionate as well (on their terms of course) and kindly let me share their bed. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never disguise him. I don't want him sleepy or off. I have simply been told that he needs to be able to be held at adoptions, which no one but me can do. And he does have playmates, I have 2 cats of my own that love to run about with him, plus any fosters coming through. I have been told that he appears unadoptable because no one can hold him and we don't have a whole lot of people willing to take on a cat that they can't hold.

I have told every person who has looked at him exactly how he is at home (which is much better than at adoptions.) I love the way he is. But he's ten times worse at adoptions and I keep being told he appears unsocial and not adoptable and that he needs to appear that way at adoptions, not just at home.
Some cats just don't like to be held. Whoever is telling you that he "needs to appear" such and such a way at adoption events doesn't seem to have a clue about cats. You can't force a cat to act cute and cuddly. :(

Perhaps public adoption events are just not the right way to go, for this little guy. It sounds like it is just too stimulating or overwhelming for him. Better to list him on the rescue's adoptable cats site and let people come to him in his own familiar environment.

Last edited:

sienna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gosh, I wish I had him as companion for my 10-mos. old energizer female, Sydney!  Syd has been extremely high-energy ever since I adopted her (stray) at 7 mos. and she could use a buddy that also loves bouncing off of walls!  I love her vivaciousness...she plays hard, loves hard, and isn't afraid of anything.  So she doesn't like to be picked-up, like your little fella, that's never bothered me.  And while I could see that it might be off-putting to some people (or families) wanting to adopt a kitten and expecting them to just melt in their arms, I think a true cat lover will eventually appear who appreciates his joyful, adventurous, and playful nature.  I wouldn't trade Syd for a million bucks!