Enema Aftercare...what To Expect?

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, Kasper went into the vet today for constipation and they gave him an enema twice as well as subcutaneous fluids. He's never had constipation before and he's never had an enema or subcutaneous fluids either. This was all a new experience for him and for me!

At the vet he pooped a lot...like a lot a lot. They said to expect him to poop a little more when we get home and he has, twice only much smaller. He might throw up a little but he hasn't yet. When we got home he wanted food so I gave him a small snack.

He hasn't been acting like himself and he won't eat the treats that he usually devours. He's sitting on our bed and not really interested in anything. I'm concerned but this is also our first time in the aftercare from an enema.

Is his behavior normal? What should I expect after he's had two enemas done? Should I just leave him be? Help!

Much love.
Stephanie (Kasper's Mama)

ch-leesha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Stephaine!

If your Kasper is anything like my senior kitty was then having the enema in the first place was pretty traumatic! How old is Kasper? You mentioned this was the first time for him, so he's probably still quite shocked over what happened and needs a bit of time to recovery.

I think it's a good sign he wanted a snack when you got home and I think it's fine to leave him be for now. How is he doing today? I wouldn't expect a BM right off the bat since he went a ton at the vet. I know my cat would sometimes experience residual effects from her enemas (she was 16) and would have a very runny stool or two for me (just my experience!)

Of course, continue keeping an eye on him and the litterbox! My cat always perked up on fluids. Did they give you some to administer at home? Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Stephaine!

If your Kasper is anything like my senior kitty was then having the enema in the first place was pretty traumatic! How old is Kasper? You mentioned this was the first time for him, so he's probably still quite shocked over what happened and needs a bit of time to recovery.

I think it's a good sign he wanted a snack when you got home and I think it's fine to leave him be for now. How is he doing today? I wouldn't expect a BM right off the bat since he went a ton at the vet. I know my cat would sometimes experience residual effects from her enemas (she was 16) and would have a very runny stool or two for me (just my experience!)

Of course, continue keeping an eye on him and the litterbox! My cat always perked up on fluids. Did they give you some to administer at home? Keep us posted!
Kasper will be 17 this month. He is doing much better now, you were right on the entire experience being a shock to him! My poor baby! He seems to be fine now and back to his usual self. They didn't give me any fluids to administer at home. They did give me some supplements to add to his food and also suggested using 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax at every meal. I started him on that today with his breakfast only I split the dose in half just to make sure I don't over do it. He seems to have a more sensitive system than a lot of kitties.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley just came home from the vet after having an enema. He started scooting, licked his bum a few times (he was all wet, they obviously had to wash him). He then went almost straight away to the litter and had a very small, but really runny movement. He continues to scoot. It's his first one with me (though I only adopted him 6 months ago so I don't know if he had one before. He is keeping his distance and clearly needs some time to himself. He's just gone for another tiny movement, and is now eating some dry food. I called my vet earlier and they said that diarrhea and sccoting is perfectly normal right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephanie1373

Kitty Mama
Young Cat
Purraise
Huxley just came home from the vet after having an enema. He started scooting, licked his bum a few times (he was all wet, they obviously had to wash him). He then went almost straight away to the litter and had a very small, but really runny movement. He continues to scoot. It's his first one with me (though I only adopted him 6 months ago so I don't know if he had one before. He is keeping his distance and clearly needs some time to himself. He's just gone for another tiny movement, and is now eating some dry food. I called my vet earlier and they said that diarrhea and sccoting is perfectly normal right now.
My boy definetely had some diarrhea after the enema. Though he was scooting along the floor while he was still constipated and not after. Either way I imagine it was very uncomfortable. Our poor kitties! I'm glad they're both on the up and up. Much love sent to your Huxley.:hearthrob:

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He probably is tuckered. If he was that backed up, he likely was uncomfortable. So, he's able to rest happily now. He will bounce back for sure. Very often, kitties can have a bit of 'runny butt' after enemas, so place towels or old blankets on beds and couches--anything that makes a poopy clean up a bit easier. My boy dealt with megacolon for most of his life, and I had a little "Bandit bucket' for his clean ups. Lots of paper towels, disinfectant sprays and clothes/water. :)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is fast asleep now in his condo. It was a rough morning! He did come for a little nap on my lap earlier as if to say "we're good, mom"
He clearly was uncomfortable before the enema, he had started to keep his distance and was alwYs lying on his side. The vet says I have to keep him on Miralax twice a day in order to try and avoid being in that situation again.
Thank you for the tip darkhorse321 darkhorse321
Stephanie1373 Stephanie1373 I hope Kasper is doing better too! Poor babies indeed!

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having dealt with megacolon for 16 and a half years, I'm feeling like a 'poopie' expert when it comes to clean ups and tricks. Restoralax, if you can get it, is better than Miralax. While it's the same product, I found Restoralax caused less gas. Again, the active ingredient is PEG (Polyethyglycol). :)