End Stage Kidney Failure...my poor baby Ginger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for all your suggestions...we've been giving her IV fluids on our own at home, they seemed to help for the 1st month but now she's rapidly going downhill. I took her to the vet today and he suggested it was time to put her down, she's extremely dehydrated and not comfortable at all so I guess this is it. I feel like a failure but this isn't about me. We brought her home and we have to make some decisions on her final arrangements. I would like to find an urn for her ashes when we do finally put her down but it's so hard...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have been following your girls story...sigh....I know hun....we all do.

I wish I could give you a big hug and that this wasn't happening to Ginger and you.

You know it is the ultimate kindness. It is hard to believe, but it is. You have done so much for Ginger, and in her way, she knows it.

You two will be in my prayers tonight and here after.

God Bless

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't be hard on yourself. You have taken superior care of Ginger during her illness. It is so terribly difficult to let them go, but it sounds like it is time. That doesn't make saying goodbye to Ginger easy at all. Many, many thoughts to send your way. The hardest gift to give our dear pets, is the last gift.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, my heart is breaking for you. Many Prayers and
for you both.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ginger's "final" appointment is today at 4pm...heart is aching, sick to my stomach, how the heck am I going to be able to hold her while the vet kills my poor baby?????

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by yourbriness763

Ginger's "final" appointment is today at 4pm...heart is aching, sick to my stomach, how the heck am I going to be able to hold her while the vet kills my poor baby?????
You will find the strength to do this final act of kindness because you love her so much, and you don't want her to suffer.

My heart is breaking for you. So many of us here have gone down this road you are about to travel, and believe me, it's not an easy one. I'm so sorry.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No words can say what I feel ......just hugs and total understanding.

Beautiful Ginger......may God bless her and you. The tie will not be broken. She is always in your heart.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to go through, but holding her while they put her to sleep was the most peaceful part of the whole process which I'm shocked because up that point and after we left the vet I was hysterically crying & just a mess, I still am but knowing she's no longer in any pain is helping me through it.

I'm so greatful to everyone that's posted &shown their love & consideration, that helps a lot too...I'm far from being "ok" with Ginger being gone but @ least now, I am the only one hurting & I mean that in a good way if you know what I mean...

Ginger ~ Mommy loves you so much, you were always the only one who never left my side through the good & the bad, you will FOREVER be in my heart & I will never find another furbaby as precious as you <3 I hope you know how much I love you & did the best that I could to keep you comfortable in your last days. Corey misses you so much too, without him we would have never made it this far. Be happy & healthy now baby, free from pain...xoxoxo

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hun, I am so sorry....

She is free now at the Bridge exploring, meeting our little ones who have gone on. And remembering her "mom" and how good she was to her.

God bless you and beautiful Ginger.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry. Take comfort from the fact that Ginger is running around in the sunshine, and wishing she could tell you that she is alright now.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That must have terribly painful, yes, to be there holding Ginger while she passed on to the bridge. She knew you were there and that you will cherish forever that you gave her comfort in her final moments.
. I am so sorry, you took incredible care of Ginger up to the end of her illness. Doesn't make saying goodbye any easier. She is now pain-free and no longer suffering. Lots of love and vibes your way tonight.

john j

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so very sorry to read about Ginger, in fact I am sitting here with tears running down my face, as I know exactly how hard the decision is to take, and then the awful period that follows after one pet is gone. My wife and I had to make the dreaded decision twice in a 6 month period. After we had to have our 19 yr old cat "Snowy" put to sleep, we spent three horrible days of nearly constant weeping and sorrow, and missed her terribly. We vowed never to have a pet again, because we couldn't face going through that again.

3 months later we were told about a kitten needing a home, so a new furry friend arrived to share our lives. 10 weeks later, he was visciously attacked by a hunting dog as he came out of his cat flap (What are the chances of that ever happening - not great!). Unfortunately his injuries were serious, he had problems walking and his pelvis was fractured and he was incontinent, so the vet gave us the with the same terrible decision to make, and reluctantly we ageed to have him put to sleep. Again we vowed never to have a pet again.

1 month later we got a 2½ year old cat from a local rescue centre. She really got our minds off our tragedies, she was talkative and well behaved and extremely loving. 14 weeks later we were again totally devastated after we found her lifeless by the side of the road, a road that has approximately 3-4 cars an hour driving through it.

We didn't give up, we got another kitten last July, and she has given us much joy. We still have all the fond memories of our other cats, and still it hurts to think of them, but Misti is another furry friend with her own personality, and who gives us a great deal of enjoyment, and hopefully gets just as much enjoyment and love from us. Maybe our bad luck has left us.

So, I know it is a really awful period that you are going through right now, and you possibly would feel a bit of a traitor to Ginger if you got a new kitten/cat, I know I did each time, but a new character in your life does help a great deal to ease the pain and bring life back to normal.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by John J

I am so very sorry to read about Ginger, in fact I am sitting here with tears running down my face, as I know exactly how hard the decision is to take, and then the awful period that follows after one pet is gone. My wife and I had to make the dreaded decision twice in a 6 month period. After we had to have our 19 yr old cat "Snowy" put to sleep, we spent three horrible days of nearly constant weeping and sorrow, and missed her terribly. We vowed never to have a pet again, because we couldn't face going through that again.

3 months later we were told about a kitten needing a home, so a new furry friend arrived to share our lives. 10 weeks later, he was visciously attacked by a hunting dog as he came out of his cat flap (What are the chances of that ever happening - not great!). Unfortunately his injuries were serious, he had problems walking and his pelvis was fractured and he was incontinent, so the vet gave us the with the same terrible decision to make, and reluctantly we ageed to have him put to sleep. Again we vowed never to have a pet again.

1 month later we got a 2½ year old cat from a local rescue centre. She really got our minds off our tragedies, she was talkative and well behaved and extremely loving. 14 weeks later we were again totally devastated after we found her lifeless by the side of the road, a road that has approximately 3-4 cars an hour driving through it.

We didn't give up, we got another kitten last July, and she has given us much joy. We still have all the fond memories of our other cats, and still it hurts to think of them, but Misti is another furry friend with her own personality, and who gives us a great deal of enjoyment, and hopefully gets just as much enjoyment and love from us. Maybe our bad luck has left us.

So, I know it is a really awful period that you are going through right now, and you possibly would feel a bit of a traitor to Ginger if you got a new kitten/cat, I know I did each time, but a new character in your life does help a great deal to ease the pain and bring life back to normal.
I was actually thinking of getting another furbaby but like you said I do kinda feel like a traitor especially since it hasn't even been a week!? Even though I have 2 other furbabies, they don't get along & when theyre not fighting theyre just staring @ each other...the house is so quiet without Ginger & I hate being home because everything reminds me of her. Her IV bag is stillhanging in its spot, her medicine is on the counter, her fur is everywhere & all this I don't mind it just freshens the hurt...I'm dreading picking up her ashes next week but at the same time can't wait to have her close to me again, even if it isn't the same.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Ginger and your pain. I've been through the exact same thing with Boo. Afterwards his meds were still everywhere, his blankets, his tents, .. it was really hard. But I personally just let it out whenever it started to come up. It was easier than keeping it in and helped. She loves you very much and you did everything in your power to help her. You're in my prayers sweetheart.

And getting a new furbaby does not mean you are a traitor, it means giving a new sweetie the chance for a wonderful life that they may otherwise not get.