End Stage Kidney Disease

Robin1300

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 year old cat, Chloe, was recently diagnosed with this. Not my first time having a cat with this. The struggle is finding her things she wants to eat. Food she once loved, she is no longer interested in. We also are going to the vet's for fluids. The doctor is giving me a compound to introduce with her food. My understanding is that it binds up the poisons and gets rid of them quicker. Has anyone tried this compound and, if so, any success?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the compound? Are you talking about a phosphorus binder? I never needed to use that with any of my three kidney cats, but I definitely had the issue of them not wanting to eat. What finally worked for us was to feed lots of very tiny meals throughout the day and night. All wet food with extra water mixed in. Not even a tablespoon at each meal though. Maybe 9 meals per day. And different foods for different meals. One day they would like something, then the next day they wouldn't like it, then in a couple days it could be on the menu again :rolleyes2:.

For the middle of the night feedings, I would put a couple bowls of food in the freezer right before bedtime, then take them out and put them on the nightstand, one on a towel, the other on an icepak on a towel. (both in little ziploc bags to keep the other cats away). I would feed them right before bedtime, which would last for a couple hours, and then by the time the kidney girl was hungry, the first frozen bowl would have thawed, so she would come for food. All I had to do was take it out of the ziploc bag and let her eat it, then take the other bowl off the icepak and let it start to thaw for the next feeding. I could do all this without really having fully awaken! Plus, I trained the other cats that if they waited patiently for her to eat and let her be, they would each get a couple of treats (which I kept under my pillow in yet another ziplok bag :wink: )

Anyhoo, the last feed I found that our last kidney cat really seemed to like was Iams Purrfect Delights Tuna-Topia. And believe it or not, it was pretty good as far as being under 1.0 on the phosphorus chart, so I was pleased with that. My advice is to just buy one small can of everything out there and keep trying. Have you tried using toppers? Your girl might like FortiFlora as a topper? Mine did, for awhile. Also, have you tried an appetite stimulant? Our last kidney cate got those consistently and we could really see a difference. Plus she got acid reducers, which also helped. She was impossible to pill, so we used transdermal gels and/or injections to get them in her. She never knew what hit her because we would always get her during petting sessions :lol:.

I know you said you've already been through having a kidney cat, but are you familiar with this site? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat It twas my "go to" for all things kidney related...meds, how to, etc.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry that Chloe and you are going through this. Hopefully you can find some food she likes. toppers always help with my guys when they are off the food for some reason, and many small meals. and rotisserie chicken, they love that stuff.

Mrsgreenjeans had good advice. just wanted to let you know we are here for support, and sending you guys my best wishes!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried using toppers? Your girl might like FortiFlora as a topper? Mine did, for awhile.
Here are some toppers, with the caveat that I don't know what's ok for a kidney cat or not...
  • boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey,
  • sardines,
  • tuna,
  • tuna juice from the tuna can,
  • canned kitten food,
  • kitten replacement milk powder or liquid as an add-in,
  • bonito flakes,
  • heating the wet food slightly,
  • parmeson or cheddar cheese,
  • fortiflora, as mentioned
  • mackerel
There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper, you could crumble her kibble onto the wet food, Tiki Cat has a mousse topper, etc.
All the VERY best wishes to you and your furbaby!!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Chloe! Please go and join the Tanya's Renal Cats support group, you can google them - she has a page all about kidney disease and there is a link there to request to join the group. By far, they are the GOLD STANDARD for all things renal cats - I had an old kitty who was diagnosed with kidney disease and they helped me so much! She was diagnosed at age 16 and I managed to keep her regulated until she passed at age 23! They can help you with food, supplements, you name it.