End of life care: Liver disease and fluid in the lungs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dexy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spoke to the vet today, doesn’t seem like there is anything left to try for the poor guy. After two months he should have responded to the medications and she feels it must be some sort of cancer. I’m going to keep him on the steroids and zofran to keep him comfortable. He doesn’t seem to be doing too great this past day. He struggled when pooping so I give him some restorolax which helps him poop but I think It makes him feel sick. Poor guy. It’s going to be hard saying goodbye bye to him.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Spoke to the vet today, doesn’t seem like there is anything left to try for the poor guy. After two months he should have responded to the medications and she feels it must be some sort of cancer. I’m going to keep him on the steroids and zofran to keep him comfortable. He doesn’t seem to be doing too great this past day. He struggled when pooping so I give him some restorolax which helps him poop but I think It makes him feel sick. Poor guy. It’s going to be hard saying goodbye bye to him.
I'm so sorry to hear this about your Dexter, D Dexy . :alright:
I was hoping that the antibiotics, and the steroids, would somehow help with his Liver values, if they were being caused by gall bladder issues, blockages, etc.

The weird thing about steroids,...is that it sometimes helps animals with cancer, to tap down the overactive immune response....but it can also cause side-effects with digestion, and constipation, too.
So I wonder if you are seeing a little of this.

Is there another laxative that can be given instead of restoralax...maybe it's too strong.
Even plain Metamucil...if your Vet can give you the okay.?

So your Vet does not think that ursodiol would help any? :frown:
Or even the milk thistle and SamE...in the zentonil?

Again, I am so very sorry. :touched::hugs:
Saying goodbye to your Dexter will be awful, but if he is suffering, and cannot get better, then you will know. :alright: :hugs: :grouphug:
Give your Dexter extra scritches and pats, tonight, from myself and the fur crew, here. (two cats and dog). :blackcat: :bluepaw::greenpaw::blackcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dexy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to say goodbye to my sweet boy last night. He showed me he had enough, he kept laying in his litter box head pressing. He was peeing and pooping normally, it was to show me he was done. He would lay there pressing his head against the side. I said no more sweet boy.

I picked him up and brought him outside to lay on me for hours until the vet could come. We played music,I held him in my arms, then I gave him tuna, salmon and all the temptation treats he never was allowed to have. He ate more than he had in 2 months almost like he knew it was his last meal. Right then I had a thought that maybe it wasn’t his time….then he looked right at me and went right back to the little box unsteady on his feet falling into it and laid down. He Was telling me he can’t fight anymore.

the vet came, i held him and kissed his head while the music played. I laid him on his favorite blanket and lit a candle. I told him he was such a good boy and everything was going to be ok. I told him I loved him repeatedly as he stared at me, kissing his forehead and on his last breath he let out a big comfy stretch reaching for me and a sigh of relief. He was gone. It was more peaceful than I could have imagined, but also terribly sad.

thank you for all the advice from everyone, Its my first time losing a pet and he was a very special one. I dont think the bond we shared could ever be replaced. Here he is waiting for the vet, having enough strength to lift his head for a pose.

RIP Dexter, such a loving boy.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to say goodbye to my sweet boy last night. He showed me he had enough, he kept laying in his litter box head pressing. He was peeing and pooping normally, it was to show me he was done. He would lay there pressing his head against the side. I said no more sweet boy.

I picked him up and brought him outside to lay on me for hours until the vet could come. We played music,I held him in my arms, then I gave him tuna, salmon and all the temptation treats he never was allowed to have. He ate more than he had in 2 months almost like he knew it was his last meal. Right then I had a thought that maybe it wasn’t his time….then he looked right at me and went right back to the little box unsteady on his feet falling into it and laid down. He Was telling me he can’t fight anymore.

the vet came, i held him and kissed his head while the music played. I laid him on his favorite blanket and lit a candle. I told him he was such a good boy and everything was going to be ok. I told him I loved him repeatedly as he stared at me, kissing his forehead and on his last breath he let out a big comfy stretch reaching for me and a sigh of relief. He was gone. It was more peaceful than I could have imagined, but also terribly sad.

thank you for all the advice from everyone, Its my first time losing a pet and he was a very special one. I dont think the bond we shared could ever be replaced. Here he is waiting for the vet, having enough strength to lift his head for a pose.

Lighting a Candle for your Dexter, here, too, now.
I am so sorry for the loss of your Sweet Dexter, D Dexy . :alright: :hugs::grouphug::hugs:
Your Dexter is such a beautiful guy cat.

RIP Dexter, and may Your Spirit, also Run Like the Wind,...so that you can come down, from time to time, and check in on your cat guardian, too. 💞
Pure Energy is never lost, just transformed.
Pure Love cannot be lost, either.
The Bond you shared with your Dexter will always be, just not in the physical sense, where you can touch him.
May your Heart, sadness, and grief,..heal with Time.:hugs::grouphug::alright:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I wept as I read this, Dexy. It is such a beautiful tribute to your lovely boy. He looks so magestic and loving in that final photo.
I do hope you are OK. My thoughts are with you. :rbheart:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. Dexy is a gorgeous boy and his photo is certainly a testimony to the love and care that you gave him on every level. You did the hardest and bravest thing that you could for him and, with time, will hopefully be comforted by happier memories of your life together. You fought the good fight for him, for as long as you could.

We would like you to know that we are very sorry for your loss. Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute to your friend in the Crossing the Bridge forum.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.