Enalapril and cough?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy that has HCM has been on Enalapril for almost a year now. He was put on Diltiazem about a month after but that didn't do what it was meant to and he was switched off that to Amiodarone about 5 months ago.

I noticed he has a cough that is getting worse and worse. It used to happen maybe once a week if that and now it is happening sometimes 3 times a day. I was told he has signs of asthma but nothing to be concerned about and there are no fluids in his lungs as of his last check up yet his coughing has gotten worse.

I was looking up medication that can cause coughing issues as I know my own father developed a cough (he is also on heart meds) and sure enough ACE inhibitors can cause coughing. Enalapril is just that.

I looked into a bit more and found this study:

Now I am wondering if this medication has caused the coughing and since switching from Diltiazem it was made worse. I am going to reach out to his vet and see if we can switch things around if this could be the case.

I am just curious if anyone else here noticed their cat develop a cough after being put on this medication.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site (as you probably did too) and didn't find much, and especially not about the coughing. Is there any possibility that your guy is having any fluid retention that he didn't have before?

There is one staff member - iPappy iPappy - who has had a cat on Enalapril, but I don't think they experienced coughing as a side effect. However, since they have some familiarity with this med, perhaps they can offer some insight.

There is a forum that deals exclusively with feline heart issues - maybe there are more folks on that site that use Enalapril?
[email protected] | Home

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did have one on Enalapril, but only enalapril and the coughing only intensified when the heart problem did. The big thing I noticed during that time was non-extreme restlessness. He'd lay down for awhile, then get up and wander, coughing a bit, then lay down elsewhere, then get up, wander, coughing, etc.
Have you seen signs of hairballs? Those can cause coughing, as well.
BluOnyx BluOnyx it is always worth telling your vet that things aren't going well and you want to try a different combination to see if the coughing gets under control.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Enalapril for a couple of months. I developed an irritating dry cough and changed medication. Dry cough is a not uncommon symptom in humans. It sure might be in cats too.

cc not uncommon side effect in humans. I don't know about cats, but it may be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did have one on Enalapril, but only enalapril and the coughing only intensified when the heart problem did. The big thing I noticed during that time was non-extreme restlessness. He'd lay down for awhile, then get up and wander, coughing a bit, then lay down elsewhere, then get up, wander, coughing, etc.
Have you seen signs of hairballs? Those can cause coughing, as well.
BluOnyx BluOnyx it is always worth telling your vet that things aren't going well and you want to try a different combination to see if the coughing gets under control.
I did speak with the vet and she told me coughing is not a side-effect of ACE inhibitors in cats, just in humans. I made that bold for anyone else looking.

He, to the best of my knowledge, has never had a hairball. I have never seen him make one. My other two have had some but I can tell it is theirs by the size and color of the fur. He is black so it would stand out. Maybe it is just allergies or maybe it is a cough that deals with hairballs.

My other boy also coughs just like him and has only ever had maybe one or two hairballs and he has very long fur. He has had a hair blockage actually and get to get an IV drop for 2 days to help it pass because he doesn't cough it up. I will have to look into this more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also his vet is not concerned with the coughing as his lungs were just looked at and he will be going back next month. She said it doesn't sound like any sort of emergency and just to keep an eye on things. His breathing is normal otherwise.