Empty Gel caps

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought size 4. anyone know how much can go in one? I have to give my cat 1/16 of a teaspoon

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A size 4 capsule will hold 0.20mls.
Since one teaspoon is 5 mls, You need 1/16 of a teaspoon. 5/16 = 0.31. Do the math yourself to figure it out. I am just showing how I would come to that conclusion.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check with your vet on the math first of course before using.
What are you putting into the capsule?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. So one teaspoon is 5 mls. 1/2 of that is 2.5 mls and 1/2 of that would be 1.25 mls which would be 1/4 teaspoon. So, 1/2 of that would be 0.62mls which would be 1/8 teaspoon, and half of that would be 0.31 which would be 1/16 of a teaspoon.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the powder and how densely it can be packed. My recommendation would be to make yourself a makeshift capsule filling machine and do some experimentation. I would start with any box that has a smooth surface that you can easily push the powder across without it getting stuck in the texture of the box. Poke a hole in it with the tip of a scissors, or something small like a nail scissors or steak knife point, and widen it to just big enough to hold a capsule snugly and flush with the box surface. Then measure out 1/8 or 1/16 tsp (I believe the middle spoon of the Dash-Pinch-Smidgen set is 1/16 tsp) and push it back and forth over the capsule with an index card (or a corner of an index card is easier to work with.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the powder and how densely it can be packed. My recommendation would be to make yourself a makeshift capsule filling machine and do some experimentation. I would start with any box that has a smooth surface that you can easily push the powder across without it getting stuck in the texture of the box. Poke a hole in it with the tip of a scissors, or something small like a nail scissors or steak knife point, and widen it to just big enough to hold a capsule snugly and flush with the box surface. Then measure out 1/8 or 1/16 tsp (I believe the middle spoon of the Dash-Pinch-Smidgen set is 1/16 tsp) and push it back and forth over the capsule with an index card (or a corner of an index card is easier to work with.)
Good idea, the powder is Tylosin, 1/16 teaspoon. I was curious since I don't have that size teaspoon. It would be easier if I could simply fill one up

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea, the powder is Tylosin, 1/16 teaspoon. I was curious since I don't have that size teaspoon. It would be easier if I could simply fill one up
Do you have an 1/8 tsp? I am thinking it may take two gel caps to fit 1/8 tsp. So you may end up with 1/16 in one capsule.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be awesome! I was using adored beast but I forget to refrigerate it. After stepping on smelly diaheria with bare feet i was hoping for something that help asap. I'm ordering more ab but it would not come fast enough

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked Google how much tylosin can fit in a size four gel cap and it came back with an Amazon review saying that 1/16 fits almost perfectly. Probably close enough for government work. 😼👍

Amazon.com

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There’s a size four capsule filling machine out there. But apparently they are having trouble with marketplaces shutting them down. I was under the impression that size five machines are regulated. But it seems like even the fours may get you in trouble. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Search Google for “MYHERBAR” and “capsule filling machine” and you’ll see just how many marketplaces have shut them out. 😔👎

Otherwise my makeshift capsule filling machine (detailed above) may work for you. Some assembly required.