Emotional Support Animal?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone registered their cat as an ESA! I have anxiety/depression and was planning on talking to my psychiatrist about it, but the "fad" of registering any old pet as a ESA has made me wary, I don't want to register Finn unless it's definitely a good and authentic idea. Does anyone have a cat ESA? What was the process like, and how did you decide to register them?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
. . . you're supposed to register them? All I did was get a doctor's note for the managers of my building :oops:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
. . . you're supposed to register them? All I did was get a doctor's note for the managers of my building :oops:
That's all the "registering" that's needed. The websites that claim to register them are scams.

If you already live somewhere pets are allowed, there's no reason to pursue a special designation.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's all the "registering" that's needed. The websites that claim to register them are scams.

If you already live somewhere pets are allowed, there's no reason to pursue a special designation.
In my building, the animals are supposed to be service or therapy animals, although that's clearly not being enforced. I've already talked about the pit bull, and now someone has a poorly behaved chihuahua.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pit bull and poorly behaved Chihiahua may be emotional support animals too. A landlord can't tell someone what kind of emotional support animal they can or can't have. Althought they could, if they wanted to, kick them out if they're really poorly behaved. Even Service Dogs can be kicked out if they aren't well-behaved, and they have the most legal protection.