Emergency vet?

ashekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, so about five days ago my cat started straining to poop wherever she could around the house. (Which is very unusual for her, she never goes to the bathroom outside the litterbox) nothing would come out, except for once in a while a single tiny drip or two of liquid poop. I usually give her wet and dry food combination, but switched to completely wet and added a cat probiotic in it. Less than a day later, she had a normal poop. Fast forward three days, and the exact same thing is happening. She’s still on completely wet food and has the probiotic everyday. Is this something I should bring her to the emergency vet for? All of the other vets are completely booked up a month out now that they are open again for normal visits with covid.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It really depends on how your cat feels. If you have a vet that you go to regularity, call them and talk about your cats symptoms, they might give you some advice without having to see your cat. You should also try to call the vet a couple more times to ask about available appointments, as they might have a cancelation that will let you take your cat in. If if you really feel like your cat isn’t getting better and needs vet attention now, then take them to the emergency vet.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second calling your regular vet. What kind of probiotic do you give her? In my experience some probiotics are only effective for diarrhea.

I would also give daily malt paste and brush hair every day if you don't already - hair can cause constipation. I could recommend GimCat Malt Soft Paste Extra if it's available where you live.