Emergency Vet Visit for Vomiting and Diarrhea

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. It’s been a while since my last post.

I adopted Sophia, my siamese mix, August 2020. She is 10 years old.

Some quick facts about Sophia:
- I adopted her at 18.5 lbs and she is now down to approximately 14.5 lbs 13 months later through diet and exercise. She eats exclusively Tiki Cat.
- She is previously front declawed and takes a daily Cosequin tablet.
- She has a bite history and has given me some very painful bites that have scarred badly.

I’m writing this while Sophia is currently staying at a nearby emergency vet.

I had some company over on Saturday and shortly after they left, she began having diarrhea. This happened one other time in the past (I assumed stress) so I figured I would let it run its course for a day or two, since she was still eating and her energy seemed fine. Plus, it was Labor Day and the vet was closed.

Yesterday, Tuesday, she vomited her food while I was at work for the day. I called her regular vet for blood work but they couldn’t get her in for over a week on Thursday. She still had an appetite, so I went to the store to get her puréed pumpkin, which has stopped her diarrhea in the past. They were all out, but my mother was planning to stop by today and bring me some. I also ordered some Diagel syringes but they have not arrived yet.

Today, as I was preparing Sophia’s food, she vomited foam twice and then went into the litter box for diarrhea several times in 10 minutes. She also refused her food. I called the emergency vet to check their wait time (did not want to sit in the car with an exploding cat in the carrier…), then headed over.

Sophia is EXTREMELY aggressive and needs to be sedated at the vet. The tech seemed to not want anything to do with her, so I asked for a cone to prevent bites. Sophia jumped off the table and hid under a chair screaming and hissing. The tech left and the doctor came in not long after.

The doctor wants to run some blood tests, but will need to sedate her first. They also want to perform an ultrasound, but their regular radiologist is out and there is someone with limited availability today who charges $500. They are also considering an x-Ray, but want to see the blood test first. If everything is clear, they will treat her symptomatically.

For now, I’m home waiting for the call. I’m cleaning my blast-zone of a bathroom, washing her blankets and the rug, and cleaning the spots where she has thrown up. I’m exhausted and just needed to vent.

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not much **real** help (none of us are, right now I suppose) … but just here sending love and good vibes your and sophias way.

hope the kitty feels better soon. And that your laundry and cleaning are donefor now (no joke, I know)

flcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have no idea, could be symptoms of many things.

Just from my own experience, a cat that did that had liver issues, resolved, that same cat had diarrhea very bad months later, tested positive for Panleuk, ended up passing away from it. Someone I know had a cat with such issues, ended up being blockage from eating something, like plastic, thread, I forget, and blocked the intestine.

This is not to scare you or anything, just repeating my experience with such symptoms, but those are symptoms of many things.

That vet tech needs to find another career, lol.

The cat should not be out of the carrier at all unless being attended to, especially if it is aggressive.

Sedation is no big deal, I do not know why so many vets think it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for weighing in.

Every time I take a pet to the vet for a bad illness, I go back and forth between hoping it’s nothing and hoping it’s something. Obviously, you want it to be nothing serious, though the vet costs make you feel like you overreacted. On the other hand, an actual diagnosis may come with a treatment plan and make the time and worry feel more worth it.

I always prepare for the worst and I’m half expecting a call saying she has some form of blockage or organ issues. Her weight history is unclear prior to me having her, but the rough timeline I know is: she weighed 11 lbs as a healthy adult and somehow got up to 16 lbs by 2020. Three months living with the foster, she went from 16 to 18.5 lbs. Then over the next year with me, she has gone back down to 14.5 lbs. I assume the rapid weight gain was not good for her, though her blood tests 6 months ago were “perfect.”

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

The vet just called. Long story short, her stomach, colon, and gallbladder are all inflamed (gastritis/colitis) and she has no signs of blockage. They had to doubly sedate her because the first dose didn’t do anything.

They asked if I could pill her or they would hospitalize her. I’m up to $1100 without medicine, hospitalization would have been another $1500. The pills are an appetite stimulant and anti-diarrhea. I said just give me the pills. I’m hoping I can sneak it into some pumpkin or put it in her food.

They said she needs a few hours to wake up and I can get her at 4-5.

I had a regular vet appointment scheduled for next week for her routine blood work and checkup, but I think I’m going to cancel that if they can just send these results there. I don’t want to have to re-traumatize her so soon if I can help it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat – TheCatSite Articles

These article might be helpful since you have to give her pills. You may need to get more creative than just pumpkin in order to help her get better. One article has some suggestions but don't hesitate to try any cat safe food that she might like such as Gerber's baby food meats.

Did the vet give her an antibiotic or mention following up on this to see if she has IBD? Her weight loss was intentional through a change in diet and more activity from what you said.

I would make sure that the regular vet gets all the results and that you follow up with him on any further treatment or interventions to help her.

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me:

4 tablets of Mirtazapine (appetite stimulant)
5 days of liquid Metronodazole (antibiotic for diarrhea/IBD)
3 days/half tablets of cerenia (anti-vomiting)

If she gets her appetite back, the pills should be easy to sneak into her food, since she’s used to eating her food with a Cosequin capsule mixed in. I got to keep the cone, so I may use that to my advantage when giving the liquid. She’s never had baby food, but I’m sure she would love it. She’s very food motivated.

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sophia came home from the vet very chatty and wobbly. She was pacing and meowing under her breath like she couldn’t find her keys. :flail: She was thrilled to be home, which was a stark contrast to all the hissing in the car. I bet she feels the best she has in days, from the fluids and sedative.

I cut each pill in half and put them right into her Tiki Cat, along with the liquid medicine. She scarfed it all down no problem so hopefully she continues to do this well with each dosage!