Emergency Opinions, Vet Not Available Atm

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my 1yo kitten who's been spayed and has recovered quite well had these stitches and it's 17 days now, they're not taken out cause her vet isn't available yet but when consulted he said it's fine and even if they were never taken out they'd fall out on their own. Today this last stitch seemed to be slipping back in, the one next to it i found gone the other day (not sure whether it's fallen on its own or she pulled it out. This is what it looked like before vs now after it disappeared. It also oozed a bit of what looked like clear pus and the skin seems to be closing after it. Is this possible for stitches to slip back in? Is it dangerous? She is definitely going to her vet as soon as he's available but I'm worried and would appreciate some second opinions.
20180411_124852.jpg
20180417_162315.jpg
20180417_162156.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will she hold still enough for you to cut the sutures? 17 days is a long time and they can cause a lot of irritation if they're in too long. I'm pretty sure any pus you see is just from the irritation. I remove spay stitches myself all the time.

They way I do it is hold the cat up by the front armpits, or scruff her if she struggles. Then with her standing up, I'll snip the stitches down the middle with nail scissors (be very very careful, and pour rubbing alcohol on them first), then I let her loose to deal with them herself. After about half an hour, I go back with tweezers and pull out the ones she didn't pull out on her own.

The irritation should subside within a few days. If it doesn't look good a couple days after the stitches are removed, have the vet take a look.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe thank you for responding! She kicks and bites a lot when i try to hold her still to check the site even, my only chance is when she's asleep. I can take the rest off, but im worried about that one knot shaped gray one that never looked like the rest of em (balck and double knots), could it be an internal stitch poking out all along?

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20180403_220718.jpg

It's the last one on the right

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
How long before this vet is available? Is there someone else there at that clinic, or a different vet entirely, that you can send these pictures in to and then talk with regarding the one that might be internal?

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long before this vet is available? Is there someone else there at that clinic, or a different vet entirely, that you can send these pictures in to and then talk with regarding the one that might be internal?
She was supposed to go back in today after i call for an appointment and I've been calling but nothing. Also theyre the only quality vet office around so she doesn't have any options :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you do a walk-in, and make them take care of this? I'm with you, I'd be concerned about that.
Good luck, hang in there!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet tech or even a kennel kid can usually do this; it's not something that requires a vet. So, yeah, a walk-in will probably get results.

Nalliel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
--UPDATE -- she went back to the vets today after I've removed her stitches myself, turns out that one knot was an internal stitch and self dissolving, her site is looking really well! :)