Emergency! Kitten Milk Replacer

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some kittens want more than the minimum, which is fine. The minimum is the base amount they need to grow, but more is always better if they want it.

You'll get to know their needs as you continue feeding them. Kittens let you know when they are hungry or full.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kittens want more than the minimum, which is fine. The minimum is the base amount they need to grow, but more is always better if they want it.

You'll get to know their needs as you continue feeding them. Kittens let you know when they are hungry or full.
I just don't want to overfeed since they are so so small and vulnerable at this age, i want to be sure everything is perfect. I will give them a little more though, maybe 6-7 ml? How much is too much?

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are their weights?
Sorry for answering after such a long time, but i've been super busy these days. They are around 200 grams now, eyes started opening, fully opened on two kittens.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are a lot quieter now by the way, and they are all purring

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are two females and two males.
This is Molly, one of the females. She is absolutely adorable! She was the first one to purr.
image.jpeg
This is the second female, i still don't know how to name her, maybe Holly? Or Leila? I would love some name suggestions!
image.jpeg
this is one of the boys, his name is Robin. He is the smallest one, his eyes still haven't opened.
image.jpeg
And this is the biggest kitten, Juno.
image.jpeg

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also need some advice. I noticed Juno suckled on others genitals so i separated him from his brothers. Is there any other solution?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give him a corner of a soft cloth soaked in kitten formula to suckle on. Hopefully that will help.

How old are the kittens now?

They look very sweet! :redheartpump:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are quieter and purring, they probably get enough now. :) At 200 grammes, they shall have around 55 ml of kmr or goats milk daily. divided in the days feedings. Observe if they wants slightly more its OK!

200 /30 x 8 is the method. Or for easy counting, 210 / 30 x 8ml

its difficult to overfeed. As long as you dont force the food into them. We talk about good growing of 10+ grammes a day, but its not that unusual they add even 20+ grammes a day if they are healthy and has enough with food...

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give him a corner of a soft cloth soaked in kitten formula to suckle on. Hopefully that will help.

I honestly don't know their age for sure because i think Robin isn't their brother. He still had the umbilical cord when he was found. One of the kittens started opening eyes very soon, so i estimated they were born on the 6th of June.
Juno seems very uninterested in the soaked cloth. He went straight to his brothers posteriors.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Robin and his umbilical cord.
image.jpeg

I honestly don't know their age for sure because i think Robin isn't their brother. He still had the umbilical cord when he was found.(see the picture) One of the kittens started opening eyes very soon, so i estimated they were born on the 6th of June.
Juno seems very uninterested in the soaked cloth. He went straight to his brothers posteriors.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are quieter and purring, they probably get enough now. :) At 200 grammes, they shall have around 55 ml of kmr or goats milk daily. divided in the days feedings. Observe if they wants slightly more its OK!

200 /30 x 8 is the method. Or for easy counting, 210 / 30 x 8ml

its difficult to overfeed. As long as you dont force the food into them. We talk about good growing of 10+ grammes a day, but its not that unusual they add even 20+ grammes a day if they are healthy and has enough with food...
Thank you!
I never force the food into them. I put around 10ml in the bottle and let them have as much as they want. Some eat all of it and want more, and some stop at 6-7 ml.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ do you have any advice on how to stop Juno from suckling on his brothers?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think SArthurs advice is fully adequate. Try with that, IF it doesnt help, we will proceed to think on next try. :)

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think SArthurs advice is fully adequate. Try with that, IF it doesnt help, we will proceed to think on next try. :)
I tried, but Juno was totally uninterested. He went straight to his brothers.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you try putting a tiny corner of the cloth in his mouth?

He looks a week old at most as his umbilical stump is still attached.

He's looking for comfort, but he cannot suckle his brother. You'll have to separate them.

Can you give his weight in grams and I'll see if he's eating enough food.

Make sure he has a lovey to snuggle such as a stuffed animal, and his own heat source, in his own box.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I looked now more closely on Junos face - doesnt he seem to have a cleft in his upper lip? A hare lip so to speak? Apparently no cleft in the palate itself, though, because otherwise he would be unable to suckle succesfully - no vaccuum effect.

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
Juno is actually the best eater, he latched to the bottle from the first time StefanZ StefanZ

iloveallcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you try putting a tiny corner of the cloth in his mouth?

He looks a week old at most as his umbilical stump is still attached.

He's looking for comfort, but he cannot suckle his brother. You'll have to separate them.

Can you give his weight in grams and I'll see if he's eating enough food.

Make sure he has a lovey to snuggle such as a stuffed animal, and his own heat source, in his own box.
That is the pic i took the first day, the 8th of june, they are a little bigger now :) they have a source of heat and a stuffed animal. I will weigh them again the next feeding. I also have big issues with fleas. I am trying to get rid of their fleas since i got them. Nothing works and the fleas got to my cats somehow, even though the kittens stay in a separate room..any efficient method on how to get rid of fleas in such small kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put tubes of Advantage II on the adult cat's necks.

You can put a DROP using a cotton swab on each kitten's neck.

You must wash all bedding around the house in hot water.

Vacuum all floors.

Buy a can of Enforcer flea house/carpet spray, and use it on floors and furniture.

Repeat the entire process in 10-14 days to end the life cycle. :)