Emergency: Cat Vomitting

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has been vomiting through the past 2 hours for 7 times, I want to take him to the vet immediately but there is no 24-hour vet within my reach!!!!! The worst part is that all hospitals are closed tomorrow. I do not know what to do now.

It happened all of a sudden, he is doing alright this afternoon and his stool was perfectly normal four hours ago. I do not think it is because of his food since we have another cat eating the same food as him who is now perfectly normal.

He is approximately 6-month-old, and is very stressful for the past two days because we brought in a new kitten(He is acting very aggressive towards the new kitten. Even though we separate them into two rooms, he still constantly hissed at the door). I wonder whether it is because of the stress the new kitten bringing to him.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I'm so sorry your little guy is sick :frown: He really does need a vet ASAP. Sudden onset vomiting like this can be an indication of a blockage (usually because kitty has eaten some non food item that's got tangled up inside him) or poisoning of some sort (usually because kitty has found and eaten something toxic). You need a vet to determine and treat the cause.

I know you say there aren't any 24hr vets that you can get to. Do any of the local vets run an out-of-hours service? We don't have any 24hr vets round here, but the local vets do run an out-of-hours service. It works like this - we call the regular vet's number, and the call gets redirected to whichever vet is on call that night. We speak to that vet and, if they deem it necessary, they drive in and open up the surgery to examine and treat the animal in question.

Look up each of the vets in your area, and see if they have any kind of emergency or out-of-hours service. You could even try ringing them to see if anything is set up. The worst that'll happen is that it'll just go to an answering machine ;)

Good luck, and keep us updated. I hope your little guy feels better soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry your cat isn’t feeling well. I’ve seen this sort of yellowish vomit before. My cat sometimes vomits this after she swallowed bits of plastic bag or tissue. It usually stops after she gets whatever it is out of her. And sometimes, I don’t even know why they vomit but it’s not a regular thing. I’m just thinking it’s hairballs.

Just watch him for a bit. It could also be due to stress of having a new ‘intruder’ into his territory. Keep petting to calm him down and if the vomitting stops by morning (tomorrow?) then he should be fine. But if it doesn’t then it’s time to see the vet.

I really hope he’ll be fine soon. Do take care!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call your regular vet. There should be an after hours voicemail message with instructions on who to call for emergencies. Call that number and explain your cat's situation and what you can do at home until you cat get the cat to a vet the next business day.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When cats' stomachs are (relatively) empty, they will (often) throw up the clear stomach fluids that normally help digest foods. That's what your picture looks like to me -- but I am not a vet.

Try feeding the kitten (or both cats) more often through the day and a little less than normal feedings (or the same amount -- you decide). And/or give your cats treats, or small snacks, in between meals. This will help tide them over until regular feeding times and, probably, prevent vomiting.

Kittens, in particular, are accustomed to eating/nursing from mom anytime they want -- which could be many times a day. It might have trouble adjusting to a more "scheduled" and, possibly, fewer feedings.

Too, know that if a cat is hungry (whether it vomits clear liquids, or not), then eats a lot of food, or too fast, it might throw up undigested food. Again, just adjusting their meals and snacks usually does the trick.

Sometimes, when a cat vomits (fluids or undigested foods), there may be a little fur mixed in. This is normal, since they clean themselves and ingest fur. As long as there is not blood, or some other concern, I don't worry about their vomiting -- I merely adjust their feeding.

Sometimes, leaving a little dry food out, where the cat cane get it, anytime it wants, solves problems.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: This info is based on my own experience with cats; I am not a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for all the replies! We managed to find a vet yesterday night, and she checked my kitten and said everything looked fine. So she just gave him some medicine to help ease his stomach. He is now back to normal. It really freaked me out yesterday, since he vomited over about 8 times and he appeared so painful. Thank god he is alright again. Thank you guys for all your suggestions again