Emergency Advice On Kitten Food

milesforman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm staying in a flat in Budapest (I'm English) and the owner has taken in a little kitten that's been abandoned (?) by a nearby flat. The owner is away for the next 2 days so it's just me and the kitten. I have tried to buy kitten food but all the nearby shops are closed. A kind neighbour has given me some adult cat food. I have to go out now for 5-6 hours.

Question 1: Is it OK to leave the adult food for the kitten? There's no other food in the flat apart from bread. Presumably along with a bowl of water. I will try to buy some proper kitten food for later.

Question 2: The kitten has already urinated on a duvet (last night). I assume the kitten will want to urinate again. If I leave the duvet where it is, will she instinctively go to the same place to urinate? It will help with cleaning if it's the same place. (Remember all the shops are closed and I can't buy any litter).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Adult cat food will be fine until you can get some kitten food, and yes, she needs water. She should use the duvet again, but there's no guarantee. Could you bring in some dirt or sand (and maybe some leaves) from outside and spread it on a plastic bag (possibly in a shallow cardboard box) for her to use as litter? Potting soil would also do, or even some shredded newspaper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milesforman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adult cat food will be fine until you can get some kitten food, and yes, she needs water. She should use the duvet again, but there's no guarantee. Could you bring in some dirt or sand (and maybe some leaves) from outside and spread it on a plastic bag (possibly in a shallow cardboard box) for her to use as litter? Potting soil would also do, or even some shredded newspaper.
Hi jcat,

Thanks very much for the advice. There's a kids' playground nearby, so I've managed to get some sand and leaves (unfortunately a bit wet, as it's raining). I've put it in a shallow cardboard box and we'll see what happens. I've opened the cat food and she's eating it like it's a last meal, so I guess that's OK. I'll buy some more proper food later, and a kitty litter.

Thanks again

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very kind of you to take better care of the kitten than the owner who left her without provisions. Food, water and a place to pee/poop is all she needs, unless you want to give her snuggles and play with a string. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milesforman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to wrap this up: The kitten has now been rehoused with some friends in Budapest who already have one female cat, 18m old, and were looking for a new kitten as a playmate. The original owners knocked on the door today asking if we'd seen their cat, 5 DAYS after we took it in (and we'd left a note with a phone number the day after we found it wandering the flats). So they weren't that bothered then......

Anyhow, all's well that ends well. Now, can anyone tell me how to repair net curtains...........!;)