Emergence of Food Allergy ... Huh???

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't glass get little cracks and scratches in it, too? LOL, we'd better all just stop eating :tongue2:. I wonder if any illnesses have even been definitively linked to crazing in ceramic dishes? Maybe we worry too much.

Although I did recently start using Pyrex baking dishes for my cats' food. . .only because they're big enough and deep enough to hold 3 large cans with extra water added. I guess that was a good move, though.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The difference is that ceramics and glazes crack with age. As long as you don't use something abrasive on glass scratches, even microscopic ones, shouldn't be a problem.

Frankly I'm not sure how much of a problem it really is but I use glass dishes. 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think for most cats, it's really not an issue. But for sensitive kitties, or if you have a kitty that develops acne, you have to rule out all the possibilities - and ceramic is one of them.

Flowerbelle had a bout of acne last year. I use corning glass dishes for feeding. ...but her eating spot is the kitchen counter, and she'd stick her face in the plastic bag with the meat in it while I setting their bowls out to portion everything out for meals. That was all it took. Now the first thing I do is dump the meat into a bowl so she can try to go at it - but with no plastic. :lol3:

greylynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A number of year ago we had a cat that suffered from processed cat food allergies. He lost hair on his back and was always itchy. No skin bumps. Our vet prescribed Royal Canin Foods (hypoallergenic diet) and that did the trick. Cat grew happily old and has since passed on. Two months ago a acquired a rescue cat whose coat was in a deplorable condition. Took her to the vet and we decided to put her on the same food (Royal Canin) her coat has come back in and is fluffy soft.