Elliot's a Nose Nibbler!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a cat do this before!

Elliot likes to sit on my lap and lay on my stomach any chance he gets. If fact, any time I sit down on the sofa or lay down, he'll be on top of me in about half a second. No joke! In fact, if I walk into the room, he'll come and make figure eights around my feet and meow at me until I sit down and give him my lap. On a couple of occasions, he even took two strides across the room and jumped over the arm of the sofa before landing on my lap. I've seen "Velcro Kittens" before but never THIS much!

It's cute and I'm happy to let him. After all, he's only a year old and only God knows what kind of life he had before we took him in. He probably wants security. Again, I'm only too pleased to give him all the security he needs.

Lately, he started nibbling my nose and chin and putting his paw in my mouth before nibbling on my lip.

He'll lay on my chest, facing me and stare directly into my eyes. He puts both paws on my shoulder blades, one on each side of my neck, and makes a few biscuits. A minute later, he'll gently reach in and nibble my nose and chin. A couple of times, this evening, he put his paw in my mouth and started nibbling on my lip.

He doesn't bite hard. Just a little nibble.

I've had cats that give the occasional love bite. Casper, our eldest cat, likes to give "nosie rubs" but I've never seen a cat actually nibble a person's nose.

So, what do you think it is? Is it over stimulation? Is it affectionate grooming?

What do you think? :dunno:

Last edited:

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His behavior sounds a lot like Willy's. Always was a lap cat, especially earlier in his life after I took him in. In fact I think his name should have been Velcro.

He always kneaded like crazy, but when he was younger, he would start kneading on my stomach while sitting in my lap, and then gradually turn the knead into a climb where he would settle in vertically on my chest. Sometimes that would include chin nibbling.

It's definitely just affection. I'm glad you get to experience that, as I know not all cats are this affectionate. I don't know how much of it comes from being rescued and feeling secure, but Willy was also taken in from outside where he had almost died before I gave him security.

He doesn't knead as much anymore at age 10, but he still spends a huge amount of time on my lap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were leaning toward the affection side, too, but weren't sure.

I've seen cats rub noses with people, make biscuits and even lick faces. In fact, when he first did it, I thought he was trying to lick my face. I know that dogs sometimes lick their mother's face in order to get food. I didn't think it was out of the range of possible behaviors for a cat. I've even had animals bite my nose before but it was always a one-time thing. Never repeatedly, like this cat does.

I'm pretty sure it's done out of affection but I think there's a little bit of over stimulation going on, too.

Last night, I did an experiment. I teased him, just a little, while he was laying on my stomach. Just ruffled his fur and tickled his ears.
He does it more when I tease him. He still does it without being teased but more when I do.

Given what everybody says, plus the results of my experiment, I'd say it's play and affection.