Eliminating urine from concrete subfloor once and for all before replacing carpet?

mom929

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I know that this has been answered a few times here, but I hope you don't mind my asking a few more questions on a similar subject.  We have a daylight basement that is carpeted over a concrete subfloor.  My kitty, Boo, has been peeing on it on and off for years.  I've cleaned it many, many times, with Nature's Miracle, renting a carpet machine, etc.

Through reading this site I've discovered a lot of things I had been doing wrong.  I switched to Dr. Elway's Cat Attract, which all three cats seem to love, I've become absolutely fanatic about cleaning their boxes a minimum of twice a day, and I've added another box on the upstairs level of the house (non related question on that is how to keep the dog from "cleaning" it for me.  Pup can't get into the room with the downstairs litter boxes because there's a cat door.

I think Boo is getting much, much better and using her litter boxes exclusively.  But because the basement carpet reeks of urine I don't feel like I can be sure.  Especially when it is damp outside you can still smell the urine smell.  That carpet is 15 years old and pretty destroyed anyway, so we are planning to replace it.

But I want to be sure that the urine smell is completely gone from the subfloor before I just put down a new carpet and Boo decides it's the perfect spot to keep peeing on because she can still smell urine.

Reading here I've heard that Nok-Out might be best.  Is it good on concrete?   I think I need to drench a 12 x 30 foot room.  How much would I need and how long would it take?  That sounds like one very expensive proposition.

I've also read varying reports about things like vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.  Since I'm talking about a subfloor that would be then covered with a brand new carpet pad and a brand new carpet would that be sufficient?  (With something like Nok-Out for any future accidents?)

DH doesn't want to spend any money on a new carpet until the cat is "gone".  Well she's only 8 years old and she's not going anywhere, and there's no way I'm living with this current carpet for the next 10+ years.

Any help would be appreciated.  Boo and I thank you (and her kitty friends Jake and Elwood)

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about Nok-out.  But, there are paint primers that people use to paint a house where the previous owners smoked.  Maybe you can paint the concrete floor before you lay carpet.

Of course you'd have to make sure that the paint would adhere to concrete; a decent handyman should know that.

White vinegar left on the concrete for several hours might work too.  I've also read that coffee grinds will absorb the odor--but that's a lot of vinegar or coffee grinds (Starbucks sometimes gives away bags of coffee grinds--people use it for fertilizers in their gardens this time of year.)