Elevator Pee-er Refuses More Accommodating Box

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat, Myla, roughly six weeks ago. She's a very sweet kitty, but she has one 'problem area:' she pees standing up! I originally switched from a standard little box to a Rubbermaid box with a hole cut in the side, but she'd take two steps in and pee straight out the opening. And since she's such a considerate kitty, she'd pile half litter in the box onto her mess on the floor. From the Rubbermaid I switched her to a modified Clever Cat box, made out of a large Rubbermaid with a hole in the top: 

This has worked nicely, as all the pee and litter stays in the box. The only problem is she refuses to use the footstool or jump on the perch side of the box (with the pink towel) while getting out. And instead of jumping out of the box like she is fully capable of doing, she scrambles up the side like Mufasa trying to pull himself over the cliff in The Lion King. I've tried taking the lid off the box alltogether, but that only made the scrambling-up-the-side issue worse. She's seven now, and I'm afraid that in a year or two she'll have sore joints and refuse to use the box all together, and we'd be back to square one. 

Very recently I tried a new box: 

I thought since it was clear with no top, she'd be more comfortable going inside and not peeing out the entrance (also, the side is high enough she can't scoop litter out of it.) But the side is maybe just a tad too high because she refuses to use it, even if there's a step stool. 

How can I make my cat use an easier box that will still contain her elevator pee-ing tendencies? I'm just worried about her getting arthritis in the future and stopping with the boxes all together!

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed that both your boxes are quite high.  You could perhaps try a lower box.  I have an older kitty and two of the four litter boxes I have are shallower so it is easy for him to walk in.  I have two cats but four boxes.  My young girl likes the higher boxes but not my senior.  I must say that is a dilemma I have not had to deal with but I would think the easier it is to get into her box the better.  Do let us know how you make out.