Elevated Alt And Ast Liver Enzymes. Help!

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, you guys. I need some help.

Goblin has been anorexic and vomiting for the past several days. He vomits occasionally after eating and usually some depo medrol helps but this time I could tell it was more severe. He couldn't keep water down.

The vet ran a panel and his liver enzymes are really high. ALT is 424 (vet said normal is 27 - 158) and his AST is 159 (normal 16 - 67). The doctor said he would automatically assume some sort of outside toxicity with those numbers, but I can't think of anything he could have gotten into.

He wants to put him on Denamarin and recheck in 30 days.

I'm a wreck. Please tell me all of your experiences with something like this. What am I not thinking of that could cause toxicity? Is my baby going to die?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that activated charcoal capsules can help, ask your vet but I think you have to give them right after they are poisoned? I can't think of anything that could have caused it besides the usual- onions, garlic, lilies, D-con, tomato plants, potato stems, grapes, chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, Lysol.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything listed above except I do occasionally use aerosol Lysol on my kitchen trash. He wouldn't have actually ingested it that I can think of, but could inhaling it cause this??

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I just stopped using it when I read about the dangers. I would think it would be more dangerous if they walk in it and then groom themselves.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your little boy doing today? Have you researched Milk Thistle? A member here was just talking about using this today for liver problems, and I thought about you. No harm asking your vet about it. I know activated charcoal can get some poisons out of the system too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goblinsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for thinking of us enough to check in!

I did speak to the doctor again yesterday evening. Goblin was put on a supplement called Denamarin, which from what I understand has a concentrated amount of milk thistle along with another liver regenerating supplement called sam-e. He doesn't want to treat specifically for poison because he isn't 100% sure that's what it was, and if it is, it would have occurred a week ago so unfortunately it would be too late to leech it from his system. However, on your advice, I am throwing out all my cleaning products! It's vinegar and lemon juice for me from here on out.

I've read really good things about milk thistle and the liver so I have hopes that this will help. Goblin seems to be feeling fine which gives me a lot of hope. The doctor gave him another steroid shot to reduce inflammation, and since then, he has a great appetite and nothing has come back up. So if we are dealing with fatty liver disease, that should help. He's playing and affectionate just like always.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's doing better! Yeah, you can make a mix of vinegar and water, we use that for cleaning almost everything. Lysol and Pine Sol are supposedly the most toxic.