Electrical cord safety question

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am planning to leave the 1 y.o. cat I adopted a month ago overnight this weekend. (14-16 hours) I bought some flex tubing to cover up cords, but didn't get enough. Is it safe enough for one night if I just unplug everything? I noticed him trying to nibble at a cord today so I covered up those cords and a few others. I'll try to get some more tubing before I leave. Eventually I plan to encase everything in the tubing. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That would seem to be a good plan for now. I still would think someone coming in to check on your cat - at least once - while you are gone would be a good idea. Water change, and check on food levels, not to mention a litter box cleanup would be greatly appreciated by your cat. Maybe even restricting his access so that he can't roam and destroy other things you have not thought about?

Laying out worn, unwashed clothing of yours in the areas this cat likes to hang out in is always a good idea too.

You've only had him for a month, so you have to be careful because you really don't know how he might react.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laprof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would seem to be a good plan for now. I still would think someone coming in to check on your cat - at least once - while you are gone would be a good idea. Water change, and check on food levels, not to mention a litter box cleanup would be greatly appreciated by your cat. Maybe even restricting his access so that he can't roam and destroy other things you have not thought about?

Laying out worn, unwashed clothing of yours in the areas this cat likes to hang out in is always a good idea too.

You've only had him for a month, so you have to be careful because you really don't know how he might react.
The tip about leaving out clothes is a great one. I think I will probably put off the overnight until next week. I've been away for as much as 9 hours at a time, and nothing has happened, but you're right, I should probably have someone check in on him and I don't have any one at this point. And I can make sure all the cords are covered.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I'm a little late on this one, but for the future....
Paper towel tubes (just the cardboard part) is good. Put the cord through the tube.
Also if you lay a towel or rag length ways and wrap the cord in it then duct tape in spots to keep it secure is a very good option.
Yes this does look messy, but with the price of tubing being over $1 a foot and a cat who has rodent tendencies, it's a good option.