Electric Cords

catlover384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I'm planning to get a 3 month old cat. I have a lot of cords in my bedroom right now, which is where it will be a lot of the time. I need most of these things. The cords are: an extension cord, my alarm clock, my fan, my lamp, my LED lights, my laptop charger, my other fan (can get rid of) and my other lamp. Yes, I know it's a lot. They all go up against the wall mostly, but will these be hazardous to my cat? I would like to know if I should buy something to prevent chewing.

Thanks. :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are products you can buy such as bitter apple to spray on the cords but I dont know how effective it is. Can you enclose the cords in some sort of casing, a wide tubing that several can be fed through. I'm sure other members will have other suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover384

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are products you can buy such as bitter apple to spray on the cords but I dont know how effective it is. Can you enclose the cords in some sort of casing, a wide tubing that several can be fed through. I'm sure other members will have other suggestions.
Yes, I just looked on amazon and found this. I was thinking I could cut it.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gardner Bender 10-ft x 0.375-in Plastic Black Split Cable Tube
this they sell it at lowes probably home depot al;so just buy some zipties to bundle all the wires then slide em into this tube it works great tough enough to withstand kitty teeth any live wire cord thats loose not secured(covered in way cat has zero access) is a danger to your cats life same as any loop or dangling ones can easily become a snare that hangs your cat even ones that are stapled to a wall can be chewed still picture is how i keep my tv/cable power wires for all of it safe its not the prettiest but it works keeps graycie alive along with saving me the money spent again on hdmi cables

Attachments

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats will chew everything and others won't touch them, so it can definitely depend on the cat. Mine loved chewing on everything. We kept switching his attention to toys instead of cables, and also unplugged as many as possible when going to bed/or when we couldn't supervise. Now, he doesn't bite them anymore.

But, covering the cables can also be extremely helpful!