Elderly Long Hair Cat With Knots

Bluebeard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our elderly (13) long hair cat has gone blind and no longer grooms herself properly. On the underside of her body she develops these very tight knots in her coat. If we try to cut them out the cut fights us. Is there anyway of dealing with this??

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she needs to be sedated for the grooming and some find this the best way to do it, you might ask your vet to do it. Vets don't generally do grooming, but the removal of these mats is more a medical issue than 'grooming'.

We once had a long haired cat with several mats. One of them was the size and length of my forefinger. When the mat was removed it turned out it had pulled up the amount of skin equal to the size of my palm. That's what makes it a medical issue, though the need for sedation should, particularly at your cat's age.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

I know scissors are considered a bad approach, but if you're concerned about anesthesia for grooming since sometimes that is the only way groomers and vets will do it, (and you dont have a dental cleaning scheduled) try this...

My guy has cottony belly hair which, at a specific length, will mat if you look at it wrong.
It took a lot of repeated efforts but I started when he was deeply asleep and with blunt end small scissors, cut a mat partway down until I could separate it with my fingers.

As she wakes up, stop. Then again when she's asleep. It'll take time but this way you are better able to see what you're doing, you'll be less rushed and she should eventually become calmer about it.

Talk softly to her if that helps.

Also, when you're brushing her, keep her fur slightly damp with a papertowel to eliminate static buildup.

You could get clippers as well, but again it will take time to allow her to get used to them.

I've not tried this, but I've read that cornstarch can help with getting the strands of hair to separate.

Then as mentioned, keep up with it and don't let that belly hair get too long again :)

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom has good suggestions.

But if you can do it yourself, that's even better since you avoid the stress of a car ride and sedation.

You can find nice blunt/ round nosed scissors in stores and sections of baby supplies. I did do this some. I held the length of the mat to the side with my non-dominate hand fingers don't grip, just push, and cut as close to the bottom of the mat as possible, without pulling on the mat.

The vet may want to cut the mats out one by one, or shave kitty's stomach. With one of ours they left the head, shoulders, arms, legs,over the hips, and tail completely furred. He looked like Errol Flinn. ( If you don't know him, totally dashing actor from the 1930s and 40s. Robin Hood.) Cat hid for two days after hair cut. The other one, who didn't look all that dashing being a very different shape, though it was fine - no pulling, better for lying on the linoleum floors. He never hid, never acted as though anything had happened.

when Sweet Gum had to have soft paws put on for a few months (she pulled them off every month) the vet didn't do complete anesthesia, just a touch of it. Of course, Sweet Gum was about 9 months old and that is very different.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some breeds have fur that's more likely to form mats. In my experience, angora fur seems more inclined to tangle than MC.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K Kflowers (honestly, it's crazy, but he and I worked it out although I still get smacked if I push it past his boundaries.)

B Bluebeard , whichever route you choose, let us know how things go, we're rooting for you! :cheerleader: .:goodluck:

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My long haired cat began having problems when she was about 16. She was difficult to handle, and when I moved, I lost my wonderful mobile groomer who could handle her. Fortunately, my vet considered the mats a medical issue, and they took care of her until the end (about 4 years).

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
didn't mean to sound as though I was suggesting you cut right along the skin. I didn't. Susanm8006 said it better. With luck you should be able to see the individual hairs where you're cutting. But you might want to get help -- someone to distract or hold kitty -- if you can.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven’t had to cut out any mats, but there have been times when his fur gets away if I’m not paying attention. When it does I spend hours untangling and convince myself it won’t happen again :paranoid:

If you’re able to get a buttercomb in between the skin and mat, was told you can safely cut on top of the comb without pulling the mat upward and not underneath. The buttercombs are pretty solid (I swear by them!) and I’m certain it’s the comb she was referring to, but personally haven’t tried this yet. I really don’t know if the comb you use matters but thought I’d mention it anyway since it’s a safety issue and exactly what she meant.

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not to hijack the thread, but purrsnickety purrsnickety what a DARLING avatar photo :)
Thank you! :heartshape:

He was a year old end of September and overdue for a new photo but I usually have to wait until someone else is around to get him to look up without moving too much—lately it’s just never a good time. He was about 7 months there.