Elderly Cat Problem

Paulmolive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This is my first post on here.

My male cat (Chase) has not been himself for the past year. He is a domestic short hair and at least 16 years old, possibly 17. Currently weighs 3.08kg. Always indoors (until recently). We rescued him back in 2001. In recent months we noticed he had a constant, ravenous appetite. He is hungry to no end. And even though we feed him more, he continues to lose weight. He has also become VERY aggressive with one of our other cats he used to get along with. In addition, he started urinating/spraying in the house. He never did that the first 15 years we had him. So now he's an indoor/outdoor cat from spring to fall (I'm in Ontario, Canada). I've also noticed he doesn't sleep very much, drinking a lot more water, and is walking with a slight limp.

We took him to the vet a couple days ago and had blood work done, but it didn't clear up the mystery. We suspected Hyperthyroidism because he has a lot of the symptoms. But his thyroid is normal (TT4 - 21 - 10-60 nmol/L) I uploaded his bloodwork here. The only thing the vet said is wrong with him is his kidneys. (UREA - 18high / CREA - 250high) He said Chase has stage 2 Kidney disease, and with the proper diet he could live another 2-3 years.

I started to wonder if he is suffering from cognitive dysfunction/dimentia. I read that many cats over 16 will experience this. He is still fairly sharp, aware, and affectionate like he always was. My main concern is the aggression with the other cat in the house. I am constantly breaking up fights, and can't endure it much longer. I don't imagine I can find a new home for him at this point given his age, and the spraying problem. If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading,

Paul

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear the trouble you're having with your kitty. I had one who had similar symptoms for many years (ravenous but battling weight loss and extremely active). His tests for hyperthyroid were always negative (but no kidney issues indicated either).

I did just loose a dog with chronic kidney disease in January. Did the vet give you advice on a low phosphorous diet and/or phosphorous binder?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet recommend a diet for cats with kidney disease? That might help with the spraying. Does he get any canned food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paulmolive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the vet recommended a low protein diet. He gave us a few cans of special canned food. He seemed to enjoy it, but then again he'll eat pretty much anything these days

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the new food helping with the spraying problem at all?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't expect a big change after only 2 days on the new food, but the food could make him feel a bit better in as little as a week. It could help with the behavior problems.