Elder Cat Behavior Changes

Sparkle50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 17 y/o cat, Harley, has had some recent behavior changes that I would like to understand. He no longer will jump up on our bed at night, a nightly ritual for 17 years. If I pick him up and put him on the bed, he gets mad and won’t stay - jumps off immediately. I have soft beds for him all over the house and he has stopped sleeping in them. There was a short period, where he was sleeping in the bathtub. He no longer does that. He is sleeping now in unusual places on the carpeting. He no longer goes out onto the screened pool area enclosure, which he always loved. Harley had an issue with his 3rd eye one day and I took him to the vet. The vet said it just came loose or he scratched it somehow but it was “fine.” I keep his eye clean because he tears. But I’m wondering if a lizard, spider or snake might have attacked him on the patio (as we get them sometimes) and now he is afraid to go out to his beloved patio. But the sleeping thing I’m attributing to maybe - arthritis? Being an elder myself, I know getting comfortable at night while sleeping can be difficult.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You are correct, i.e. it definitely could be arthritis and not jumping on the bed or going in his usual places may be an indication that it aggravate his joints. I would suggest that you bring him to the vet and perhaps run a complete blood panel. Labs are normally routine in older cats for this very reason. Your vet can help minimize any pain your cat is exhibiting. Best of luck, please keep us updated. :hugs:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would take him to the vet and have him checked out. If it were me I think I would take x-rays first since you suspect arthritis. Blood test don't always show anything. When my cat got diagnosed with cancer his blood work came back basically normal. He had minor arthritis and a mass in his lower abdomen. He was 16. I don't want to alarm you and I hope he is ok! But, he is 17 and this kind of sounds like some of the behavior my Tama demonstrated before he was diagnosed.