Eggshell powder

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I know threads about eggshell powder have been posted before...so, I might be asking this again: I am going to gring my own eggshells to use on the grinded meat+organs recipe and I was wondering if anybody can tell me how many grams per pound of meat and per pound of organs I need to use. I still don't quite understand the american way of misuring, neither tables and such....
This is an example of one of the batches I make ( using turkey tighs and some chicken tighs):
-4.127 gr. just meat (about 9 lb.)
-1.210 gr. of hearts+livers,
-138 gr. (8 egg yolks),
-463 gr. of bones added back to recipe ( 7% of tot. meat+organs),
- plus the rest of the supplements...

I'd like to try using the eggshells to see if it's better for one of my cats, which tends to be a bit constipated sometimes, and also because I'm afraid that the Tasin grinder might quit on me one of this days so, I don't want to take the chance of not being able to complete the batch with bone supplement.
My other question is, DO FINELY GRINDED FRESH EGGSHELLS GO BAD OR CAN THEY BE STORE IN THE FRIDGE? If so, for how long?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks though...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can convert. :)

And I store finely ground eggshells in a jar - not in the fridge. They're just minerals and should last basically indefinitely (assuming you baked them dry before grinding them).

Ok, so the meat and organ is 4,127g + 1,210g = 5,337g
28.35g per oz = 188.3oz divided by 16 oz per pound = about 11.75 pounds (technically 11.77 lb).

It's 1/2 teaspoon of eggshell powder per pound. So that's 5.5 teaspoons of eggshell powder for the 11 pounds, plus about 3/4 of 1/2 a teaspoon to account for the 0.75 pound.

And large egg yolks take about 1/32 teaspoon each. So 8 yolks is 1/4 teaspoon of eggshell powder for those.

I hope that's clear?

Last edited:

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep my eggshell in the freezer cause I have a HUGE (quart sized ziploc) full of it lol.  Can you tell my hubby and I love eating eggs?  I use 1/2 teaspoon per # of meat for my dog and cats.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I store finely ground eggshells in a jar - not in the fridge. They're just minerals and should last basically indefinitely (assuming you baked them dry before grinding them).
Same here.

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you guys usually "baked dry" the eggshells?

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome, I'll do that and hopefully, by using eggshells with the recipe, will give my cat some relief from a bit of constipation. Thank you all for making it easier to understand for hardheaded people like me :rub:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to rinse the shells then bake, else they stick like glue to the pan. 

Make sure they are DRY DRY DRY before grinding them, else you'll grow mold.

After grinding, let the grinder/blender sit a minute before opening.  Snorting eggshell dust is miserable.

I learned the hard way!  Let us know what you think!

blakat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. One last question....as I'm getting ready to do some cat food, do u think that I can get a sufficient amount of eggshell powder out of 8 large eggs ( I'll be using about the same amount meat+organs+egg yolks as I stated on the beginning of this thread) or would I need more eggshells? Tnx