Edgar's Experience With Lymphoma

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fuchsiaslove Fuchsiaslove Poor Edgar- I'm glad he was eating a bit after the round of chemo though! Getting an appetite back is always a good sign :) Hopefully the chemo is working & helping him feel a bit back to normal. It could just take time before he starts eating regularly and feeling like himself again. This is such a stressful time for you both so I'm sending hugs your way :hugs: Is he still going in and out of the litterbox? Have you spied on him while he's in there to see if it's the runs or constipation?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Loriloveskitties Loriloveskitties

The vet took him off of prednisone. He didn't have to get chemo today because some weeks there are breaks. I thought not having chemo he would have a little more energy and appetite but he is having a bad day today. :(

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edgar update:
I wish i could say that he's doing well but he's barely eating and mostly lethargic. It's getting to where i feel really awful for stretching this out. The oncology visit is Friday and scans will be done. Edgar's spending all day in the sunroom looking out and sleeping. He only eats wellness core dou now. He refuses or barely touches anything else. We had a tough pill morning today but he's overall gotten great with pills lightly covered in the pill pockets. He still enjoys brushes and pets but he's not playing. He has to take anti nausea or he vomits. I've also put him back on pepcid to see if it helps. I really don't know if it is. It's been 5 weeks since the onset of symptoms and diagnosis but 6 months since I noticed something wasn't right.

Loriloveskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:alright:Oh Poor dear..Any chance you can syringe feed him to get some nutrition in him that helped Spike? Can you call too see what they recommend? Putting him back on prednisone maybe. I liquefy Spikes meds and syringe them. spike is a picky eater now for sure..I need to douse things in fish broth but it piques his appetite and he eats it.
Please don't regret your decision..you did ,as I am , giving treatment a shot . It's draining for all involved for sure with no guarantees on anything. I'm sure you are giving him all the love he needs..stay strong as you told me to do. :vibes::hugs: I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edgar had his scans today and the lymphoma has progressed. He started a new treatment called Lomustine and he received a 10mg capsule. They put him back on prednisone 7.5 mg. His weight went down to 7.8 lb. After taking the prednisone he came and sat in my lap. He climbed the steps and talked to the neighbor cat and climbed up on the shelves for the first time in a week or so. He hasn't really eaten anything but broth and gravy. Tomorrow I will go to the reg vet and get some of the AD food to syringe. He did well yesterday when I gave him bone marrow and broth by syringe. He actually perked up and ate on his own after. I'm trying very hard to detach with love. The cancer is just growing so fast. I really hope the new treatment works. The oncologist said there is a 50/50 chance for survival. It's hard to be hopeful and detach so that I can do what's best for Edgar. Two hours ago he cried and vomited and now he's sleeping. It's so hard to think about letting him go when his eyes are so clear and he's asking for pets and such. :bawling: I'm also premenstrual. It's been one hell of a day.

Daily Meds:
Cerenia 8mg
prednisone 7.5mg
Pepcid 2.5 mg
Mirtazapine 1mg
Zofran 1mg (as needed per 12h)

Once a month chemotherapy:
Lomustine (CeeNU)10mg

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear.. I really hope these new meds help him feel better, especially the high dose of Pred. I'm not sure if you are, but I wouldn't even worry at all about the long term side effects at this point- Pred has a great ability to help them feel better for as long as they can, and that's better than the alternative in cases like this. If a 'maintenance' dose isn't an option at this point- which it rarely is with very terminally ill kitties- I would personally keep the dose high enough to control his symptoms and help him feel better for as long as possible.

I hope the past few days have been better... as always, you & Edgar and in my thoughts :hugs::redheartpump::hearthrob:

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support. Today, Edgar ate a few bites of bone marrow but he was making a strange noise when eating it. It sounded like a rattle or gasp. I noticed a lump for the first time today. pictures were taken yesterday. 20180209_143145.jpg 20180209_143151.jpg

Loriloveskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such a handsome boy..how are you holding up? So you found a lump? What happens now.

.they have Spike on Prednisone twice a day..and they started his three days before his first chemo treatment...I'm going to ask at his Monday appt if I'm to continue with the same dose..it all appears to be helping so far but I don't understand the other side of it..it's all so unknown...

I feel for you truly I know how hard this is..I'm wishing you much strength and keeping good thoughts for you both ..:heartshape:

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loriloveskitties Loriloveskitties , thank you! We're just getting through each day. I feel the tumour because he's getting thinner and it's getting larger. I've lost hope about shrinking the cancer and am focusing Edgar's comfort and happiness. The prednisone makes all the difference. He's barely eating so I'm giving him all the things he loves and even things he has been denied in the past. Last night, he had sirloin steak (my leftovers) even though it had pineapple marinade, and this morning he had egg yolk and I said screw it and gave him crumbled bacon.

Just because our treatment plan hasn't reversed Edgar's cancer doesn't mean your treatment plan won't work for Spike, or any other kitty.

The best advice I can give is try to enjoy each and every good moment.
:grouphug:

after his bacon and eggs he decided to explore the ledge here. I'm happy to see him moving and looking about!

Loriloveskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes that prednisone does wonders for giving them some comfort..the first dose I gave spike I couldn't believe the difference..so glad Edgar is doing ok with it again..it does help with their appetite..it's a catch 22..the less they eat the less they want to eat..so are you stopping the next round of treatment?
I asked my vet about the Wisconsin protocol you were using and she said the one Spike is getting is based off that..I entered this eyes wide open knowing well that there are no guarantees for anything and what the statistics were..essentially buying some better quality time with him. But that being said I'm certain I will be a wreck when that time comes.no amount of detaching is gonna prepare me...I think in the 9 years I have had Spike I have taken more pictures in this past month..I think he is annoyed...you are an awesome mom to Edgar..keep it up..remember to use your sing song voice ;)..this is just the crappy part of life right here! but you are giving it 1000%:rock: ..all that we mere mortals can do..wishing you much love and strength ..hugs to you both from us here in NJ :grouphug2: :heartshape:

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just letting you know that you are in my thoughts, I have been following this thread as I do with all the ones dealing with lymphoma. I lost my Kitty last year to large cell lymphoma and I know how devastating this is and how quick it can progress. Hang in there, you are doing the right thing for him and he knows he is loved.

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Edgar's been doing so well I've almost forgotten he's sick. I think that's why i haven't been here. Everyday he's eating so well and playing. He's his old self. He hasn't needed any nausea meds. He's only taking prednisone every other day at 5mg now. I don't know if it's the new chemo working or what. :cheerleader::crossfingers::sunshine:

Loriloveskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fuchsiaslove Fuchsiaslove  :hyper: :yess: so very happy for this news!! I'm glad for the update im so relieved.. :thanks: whatever the reason ..it's why we are doing what we are for them ..enjoy every moment but dont forget about us..hugs from us here in NJ:heartshape:

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loriloveskitties Loriloveskitties how's spike doing?

Unfortunately, I woke up at 7am to the sound of construction and Edgar vomiting for the first time in 2 weeks. He's so stressed and there's nothing I can do. I have 2 sound machines, the bathroom vent fan running and the radio on but I still hear sawing and shouting. Six more days and we move into the new house. I don't know what's worse construction noise or change. Atleast it'll be at quiet at the new house and he can sit in the window without strange men screaming. :argh:

I gave him cerenia and he ate a little at 9am.

Loriloveskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fuchsiaslove Fuchsiaslove oh no..ugh..:mad:I'm gonna go with construction noise is worse ..when you can't escape it..it would stress me out too!:fuming: Peaceful change should be wonderful ..keeping all Edgar's familiar scented items should help make transition smoother..Spike and Bella (my lil girl cat) have moved three times with me and adjusted well..I hope the same for you and Edgar:goodluck: stay strong you have so much going on..moving and caring for Edgar..its gotta be mentally draining..:runaround:

Spike is doing well so far..we are 5 weeks into his weekly chemo treatments with one more to go..next up is chemo every 10 days for 8 weeks..I am really amazed at his transformation from the cat I was certain would be gone at any moment 7 weeks ago to him being his old self..gaining weight..jumping..playing..eating And resuming his normal routines including following me everywhere and being the love able boy he has always been..I'm so grateful for these good days and don't take them for granted at all..sure has put life into a different perspective for me..:shocked:

I'm hoping these next 6 days go well for you all..:vibes: :heartshape: So exciting for you !! Thanks for update..keep us posted..hugs and kisses to Edgar:hearthrob: