Eco-friendly ways to dispose of syringes WITHOUT the needles.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am accumulating a huge number of plastic syringes, oral and those where I have removed the needles and disposed of them appropriately. None of them involve blood, just medications.

I've searched for solutions, and there doesn't seem to be any way to dispose of them short of tossing them in the garbage. Is there such a program to dispose of these in a better manner?

I also have numerous sub-Q fluids bags and tubing as well, that seem to be 'destined' for the landfills too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can put them in a bottle with a lid like Gatorade bottle or something...Id call your local pharmacy and health department one of them should be able to take them
Putting them in something like a Gatorade bottle still goes into the garbage and on to a landfill. Looked at local options, nobody knows - all they can address are the needles, or blood related syringes. I don't think there is another solution, but hoping someone here may have found one through direct experience.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here I know my ex's mom was on insulin and she put hers in a bottle like that and when she took them to pharmacy they put the whole bottle in the sharps container so idk.. I really don't know what else to do with something like that
Maybe a hospital can provide a sharps container for them then maybe they would take them to dispose of??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here I know my ex's mom was on insulin and she put hers in a bottle like that and when she took them to pharmacy they put the whole bottle in the sharps container so idk.. I really don't know what else to do with something like that Maybe a hospital can provide a sharps container for them then maybe they would take them to dispose of??
I presume that the pharmacy was taking the syringes apart from the needles and disposing appropriately of the needles, and then adding the syringe part to their trash dump, or they were handing over the separation to someone they contracted with. That is my guess anyway. That might work (with the end result being the same - landfill), with syringes that are connected to needles, but maybe not so much for oral syringes. Thanks though. Maybe I just shouldn't care so much.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I presume that the pharmacy was taking the syringes apart from the needles and disposing appropriately of the needles, and then adding the syringe part to their trash dump, or they were handing over the separation to someone they contracted with. That is my guess anyway. That might work (with the end result being the same - landfill), with syringes that are connected to needles, but maybe not so much for oral syringes. Thanks though. Maybe I just shouldn't care so much.
Could you call the health department and ask them directly? There might be options out there that are lesser known. I know whenever anyone brings a diabetic to us that needs insulin shots, we bend the needle before disposing of them, either in a sharps container provided by the owner or into the garbage. A better option would interest me, as well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just put the syringes in a plastic bag and dispose of in the trash. They realy arent recyclable. Sharps must be disposed of properly in a yellow biowaste container because they are considered hazerdous if they accidently poke the garbage man.

Biowaste is usualy incinerated and thus is not sent to landfill due to being potentialy infectious fyi

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking with a friend who happens to be a doctor about the plastic problem, and she said that much of modern medicine relies greatly on plastics and she knows of no good solutions.

Margret

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't think there was an eco-friendly answer, but thought I'd ask anyway. I am pretty sure handing them back over to the vet will end with the same result, it just wouldn't be me dumping it in the trash. I just cringe every time I have to throw a syringe in the garbage.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In CA, all syringes are supposed to be brought to doctor's offices, or anyplace similar, or given to a certified collection. Even with the needle removed, they are considered to be a biohazard as there is no guarantee that some medication or bodily fluid is not still in the needleless syringe itself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In CA, all syringes are supposed to be brought to doctor's offices, or anyplace similar, or given to a certified collection. Even with the needle removed, they are considered to be a biohazard as there is no guarantee that some medication or bodily fluid is not still in the needleless syringe itself.
I understand that for sure. Wonder where they go, or how they are treated? Do you know?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In CA, hazardous household waste which may be recycled at certain places does not include medical waste. Even acupuncture needles are considered medical waste and a biohazard. There are several options for disinfection including steam, incineration, or chemical disinfectants. After this, depending on what was just disinfected, there are other means of final disposal but I am not sure that any of them are actual recycling. All of this is handled by companies who specialize in this. The bins in which medical waste is transported may be recycled after they are sterilized.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've read on a lot of Zero Waste message boards to just not worry about medical waste. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but I think they're right. There is just no good way to recycle these and even if you think you're recycling them, they probably just get thrown away. Disappointing, but I agree that if you need these, you shouldn't stress about trying to dispose of them. These were created for a reason, because there just isn't a good way of sanitizing them and reusing them.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read on a lot of Zero Waste message boards to just not worry about medical waste. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but I think they're right. There is just no good way to recycle these and even if you think you're recycling them, they probably just get thrown away. Disappointing, but I agree that if you need these, you shouldn't stress about trying to dispose of them. These were created for a reason, because there just isn't a good way of sanitizing them and reusing them.
I have known people who re-use "single use" syringes for insulin injections on diabetic pets a few times. Instead of using it once, they use it 2-4 times. Cuts down on cost, and waste as well, but obviously they use the same needle on the same pet and for nothing else.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have known people who re-use "single use" syringes for insulin injections on diabetic pets a few times. Instead of using it once, they use it 2-4 times. Cuts down on cost, and waste as well, but obviously they use the same needle on the same pet and for nothing else.
I understand that, but there's no guarantee that it will work for that pet. I had a human friend who had type 1 and she would get infections at her injection sites all the time no matter how careful she was. So, I imagine it would be the same for an animal. Some animals, maybe that works for, but others, maybe it doesn't. To me, the risk is not worth it to find out if it does or doesn't work for your particular cat.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand that, but there's no guarantee that it will work for that pet. I had a human friend who had type 1 and she would get infections at her injection sites all the time no matter how careful she was. So, I imagine it would be the same for an animal. Some animals, maybe that works for, but others, maybe it doesn't. To me, the risk is not worth it to find out if it does or doesn't work for your particular cat.
Yes, I agree. But when I'm given instructions for pet care, I do as I'm told.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree. But when I'm given instructions for pet care, I do as I'm told.
Absolutely. I totally get trying it, but I just don't think I would be willing to try it personally. We lost 3 cats in 18 months during the pandemic, not because of anything like this, but it just makes me less willing to try an experiment. I'd rather be safe than sorry.