Eco Friendly Cat Litter Reviews

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I know there have been a few threads on this topic before but I wanted to see if anyone has any updated thoughts on eco friendly cat litter brands. I've tried a few so far and haven't yet found one that works really well for my cats and me. I wanted to start a thread of eco friendly cat litter reviews, both in case my reviews help anyone else and to see if anyone has recommendations for me. I have three cats and have only used clumping cat litters.

World's Best--this one was the first eco friendly litter I tried, so it's been a while. I remember that this litter smelled ok at first but seemed to stop covering any scents about a week or two into using it, even with scooping all boxes twice a day. After a while, I just couldn't take the smell anymore and had to switch.

Okocat--was ok, I think I tried the original and the super soft. I found both tracked quite a bit and would leave annoying pieces on the floor that stuck to my feet. One of my cats also didn't seem to like this litter very much and stopped covering his poop. As soon as I presented an alternate litter choice, they all stopped using this one.

Shweat Scoop--also just ok in my opinion. The cats seemed to like it more than Okocat. Unfortunately, I had a similar problem with World's Best in that it didn't cover scents very well and seemed to develop its own foul smell fairly quickly.

Naturally Fresh--I've tried the Multi-cat and the Ultra Odor Control; I'm not sure I've noticed a difference between the two. This brand has had the best scent masking of all the brands I've tried, and my cats seem to like it. It does track quite a bit; I'm constantly finding little bits of the litter on my bed. It also sends up a cloud of dust when poured or scooped, which I don't love. The biggest issue I've had is that this litter seems to take a bit longer to absorb urine and clump, which is a problem for one of my cats who squats low in the litter box and keeps ending up with urine on his paws and legs.

Has anyone else tried any of the other brands out there? I'm thinking of trying a grass or maybe tofu based litter next.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't have much of a problem with the World's Best, but TBH I just can't leave litter a month like brands say. Even if you scoop right after they use it, technically the litter is still getting contaminated. 2 weeks is my limit.

My cat would use the Okocat pellets but she wouldn't cover her stools so that stopped quickly.

In the end, I'm not using an eco-friendly litter. I'm using a crystal litter (I have the Scoop-free litterboxes). When I used any of the other litters (World's Best, Okocat, and clay litters) Delilah used to chew at her paws like crazy. She has one white front paw and one gray one. She would chew enough that the white paw would be pink underneath. Since I changed to the crystal litter, that reduced greatly and no more pink paw. Personally I would love to go back to World's Best, but when it comes down to my kitty's paws, crystal litter stays.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you’re starting this thread as there seem to be a lot of new products out there. I have only tried the ones you have w/ the same results. I’m back to a fine clumping clay, but don’t feel good about it, ecologically. (May cat gives it 5 stars). I HAVE been using birodegradable baggies to movie the offal. Keep us posted.