eating raw while on dry diet?

haley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My younger kitten will have a raw diet only and I don't plan to change his older brother diet now, I want to wait a month because he has a sensitive tummy and I just changed him from kitten to adult kibble.

The thing is he sometimes try and eat with the kitten .. Is it ok to let him try some? I read a while ago about feeding raw while the cat is on kibble but I don't remember if it's fine or not

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that it's not recommended to mix kibble and raw. However, I've since learned on this site that it depends more on the type of kibble. If you're feeding a high quality (i.e. High animal protein/low carb) kibble, it's much less of an issue. There are members here who have fed both kibble and raw in the same meal during transition to raw without issues.

If the kibble is high in carbs, it *may* cause digestion issues, but it really depends on the individual cat. What kind of issues does your sensitive tummy kitty have?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read that it's not recommended to mix kibble and raw. However, I've since learned on this site that it depends more on the type of kibble. If you're feeding a high quality (i.e. High animal protein/low carb) kibble, it's much less of an issue. There are members here who have fed both kibble and raw in the same meal during transition to raw without issues.

If the kibble is high in carbs, it *may* cause digestion issues, but it really depends on the individual cat. What kind of issues does your sensitive tummy kitty have?
I feed him Royal Canin hair and skin and when I change his food he always get diarrhea. That's why I want to keep him on Royal Canin now until next month or longer. I don't want to change his food now.

Btw I bought everything today and my kitten lovvvvvvvvvved it!! Thank you for your help!!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed him Royal Canin hair and skin and when I change his food he always get diarrhea. That's why I want to keep him on Royal Canin now until next month or longer. I don't want to change his food now.
I don't know much about that food, but there are a lot of grains in it, so it seems high carb.
Btw I bought everything today and my kitten lovvvvvvvvvved it!! Thank you for your help!!
That's great to hear!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He probably gets diarrhea because that food is so full of carbs, it's a shock to his system to get anything else. I would try to switch him onto the raw diet sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with Vball91 on this issue. I have had domestic cats, exotic hybrid cats (F1 Bengal and F3 Savannah) and a pure male African Serval (Leptailurus serval) who ate dry food and whole live prey items. I am pretty sure, that, is a raw food

The domestics and and the exotic cat hybrids got two or three live prey items twice a day. However, since, I was/am not home for up to fifteen hours a day, I decided to leave out dry food, that, they all could snack on. For this group of cats, the only dry, that, they could all digest was Evo. More specifically, the Turkey and Chicken formula: (http://www.naturapet.com/products/1441). I am quite sure, that, it did not cause them GI upset, because, one of the pure domestics and the exotic cat hybrids, where, completely indoor cats.

As far as, my pure Serval was, he came to me eating Friskies canned food. Needless to say, that, was not a complete or healthy diet. So, I slowly transferred him onto Evo canned food. Mind you, I am completely aware, that, is not balanced for a pure exotic or high percentage F1 hybrid. However, at first, my Serval would not eat raw meat or whole prey (live or dead). So, once, the Serval was eating the Evo well, I decided to add mice ( fresh thawed hoppers and pinkies) to the Evo. It even took him a while to get used to that
. But, once he did, my Serval became a "carnivore" and learned to love various whole prey items.

However, just like with the exotic cat hybrids and pure domestics, I was out of the house for extended periods of time. So, I needed a dry food, that, he could digest. Ironically, he would eat ANY dry. But, the only one, that, he could digest was the Epigen 90, that, is made by Wysong (http://www.wysongepigen.net/epigen90.php).