Eating Problems?

Winniethebullet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So my cat has been having all sorts of problems with food and digestion. It first started when we got her. She was super freaked out the first couple of days we had her and so she didn't eat all that much. We counted on her eating until she was full and then stopping so we would fill her bowl completely and then fill it up the next day. We started noticing she was eating all of it at once so we started feeding her smaller amounts through the day. That seemed to work for a while until she started vomiting. At first, we thought that she had hairballs and that she was trying to cough up which was leading her to vomit. But I noticed that her vomit had undigested food in it. We tried multiple things. Feeding her very little and very often but I have a busy schedule and I can't always do that. So I went back to what I did before feeding her about 3 times a day. She continued to puke and we considered many different things, feeding her different treats, changing her diet but soon she stopped puking after we went back to normal with just one type of treat out of her diet. She isn't puking anymore but about a month ago she started eating very little. She got back into eating normally soon but I notice that she leaves a bit of food in her bowl until I feed her again. So I guess my question is, what caused her puking and what is the ideal diet to feed a cat that seems to have problems like this? Thanks!!:winkcat:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you know what the problem is its hard to recommend anything. Have you had her to the vet? Any feed back on her from the vet? If not that would be my suggestion.

I do keep dry food, Dr. Elseys chicken, out for my guys all the time. I have one that if he gets too hungry hr throws up. so i make sure he always has food available.

I also feed canned food twice a day. I think wet food is very good for cats. I feed a wide variety of wet. Tiki cat seems to be a fav at my house right now.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had our kitty Olive for about 6 months, before that she lived outside. We didn't have any vomiting issues, but we were free-feeding her kibble that our other boys ate (and self-regulate fairly well) and she would eat everything we put in front of her. After a few months she plumped out (earning her the nickname "Porky Cat"). Since then we fed her 3 scheduled, measured mealtimes and switched over to wet food so she felt fuller. She continued to be part of the clean plate club for a while. (She even tries to eat food she obviously hates. Yesterday I tried a beef flavor for the first time and she gagged between bites but kept giving it the old college try. I took it away and gave her an old favorite. Silly kitty)

Now that she has been with us for 6 months, she sometimes leaves food in her bowl. She will often go back to it, but once in a while she doesn't and I throw a little out. We figure that now that she feels more stable indoors, she doesn't worry where her next meal comes from and doesn't need to gorge herself every meal.

As for vomiting, our boy Trin will throw up if he eats too fast, or if it's the end of the bag and there are a lot of crumbs. We try and toss the dregs so that doesn't happen.

Hope this helps with your cat, I don't have any advice but this is anecdotally what I've seen from these two.