Eating paint?

toriiaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it’s been about 2 weeks now where my kitten started peeling off the paint on my doorway??? She’s not chewing on the actual wood itself, she’s just clawing it enough to where it lifts, then she’ll grab it with her mouth and pull until a whole bunch of it peels off. I’ve had her for about 4 months now and this is a very new thing. No clue why.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And congrats on the new kitten. About the paint, Is she actually eating it? Or just chewing it off the door frame. Either way, obviously not good. :(

If she's actually eating the paint, I think you should contact your vet for advice.

Meanwhile, here's an older TCS thread that might be helpful:

Also Google found this link:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toriiaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And congrats on the new kitten. About the paint, Is she actually eating it? Or just chewing it off the door frame. Either way, obviously not good. :(

If she's actually eating the paint, I think you should contact your vet for advice.

Meanwhile, here's an older TCS thread that might be helpful:

Also Google found this link:
Thank you! Might have to get her checked out if the spray doesn’t work 😪 glad to know she’s not the only weirdo lol

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the home? Older homes built before 1970s or so contain lead paint which is toxic if ingested. Sometimes later owners just paint over the lead paint and not disclose it :eek2:

A trip to the vet is best. Blood work wouldn't be a bad idea. Even paint these days can't be good if ingested and may cause abnormal blood values. You can ask the vet about pica, too.

Do you feed and play with your kitten enough? Bored and hungry kittens will seek out things to do and eat.

Try putting a deterrent on the areas that your kitten is clawing at. Deterrents may affect the underlying wood so test a small area first, especially if you rent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toriiaaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is the home? Older homes built before 1970s or so contain lead paint which is toxic if ingested. Sometimes later owners just paint over the lead paint and not disclose it :eek2:

A trip to the vet is best. Blood work wouldn't be a bad idea. Even paint these days can't be good if ingested and may cause abnormal blood values. You can ask the vet about pica, too.

Do you feed and play with your kitten enough? Bored and hungry kittens will seek out things to do and eat.

Try putting a deterrent on the areas that your kitten is clawing at. Deterrents may affect the underlying wood so test a small area first, especially if you rent.
It’s an apartment & it’s fairly new. I don’t think she’s eating it but she definitely chews on it which can’t be great either. I play with her all the time & I also have a dog, they play all day long so boredom isn’t the problem I don’t think. Going to try the spray but a trip to the vet is happening if it doesn’t stop.