Eating Only One Texture Of Food....

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know all the talk about rotation due to food allergies and brand recalls and such. That all makes perfect sense and I do rotate those. I have also seen it mentioned that you should rotate textures/types of food as well like pate, shredded, flaked etc.... Is there a reason behind that as well?
I was offering my kitty a few "shreds in gravy" type foods along with pates. At first, she ate them all (we just started wet food and I think she was just happy to be getting ANY wet). Well recently I started adding water to her pate and smashing it up so it's a bit soupy... she LOVES it that way and now that she realizes wet food is coming everyday at the same times... she snubs what she doesn't want and just waits for the next meal :hmmm:.
She has started just licking the gravy off of her shredded foods and leaving the meat. She will lick the bowl clean when it's pate though and she still eats her dry food...
Is it ok to feed only pate?

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Stick with the texture she likes best, some people mix them together. I add a little water, I don't make soup however. My cats all prefer pate if given a choice! I think a lot of cats especially those that hunt prey like shreds!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine to feed just pates! There's also nothing wrong with smashing up the shreds-in-gravy foods, either, though I'd watch the carbs in some of those since some shred foods have a tendency to use a lot of potato, peas, and other fillers to help hold the shreds together if they're shaped rather than actually shredded from meat.

What bonepicker says about some cats liking to hunt shreds like prey is true of one of our cats: she loves to pick up a clump of shreds, carry it off, and furtively eat. It's very funny! She does also like pates, though they were more of an acquired taste for her than shreds. Cats! I'm glad she's branched out: it's good to have options in case of recalls, pickiness, and other factors.