Eating one kibble at a time - is it normal?

kbc2021

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am just wondering how common is this among cat behaviour.
My BSH is 2 years old, 4.8kgs.

When it comes to eating, he literally eats one kibble at a time with a big forward-and-back movement to swallow.
We have regular checks to the vet clinic, no health issues. He is playful and active. Just want to know if this is common behaviour?

Now being a cat owner, I see a lot of YouTube cat videos :D, where a cat is shoving large amounts of kibble in one bite.
Just want to know others experience on this?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
It must take a long time for him to eat. Does he have the same trouble swallowing smaller pieces? Does he use the same throat extending method, or whatever this is, to swallow wet food or water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kbc2021

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Furballsmom

Yes it takes a while for him to eat but he’s like a grazer. He does use the same throat extending method for wet too. Seems your explanation is more accurate. So I’m comfortable you know what I am talking about. His behaviour outside of eating seems absolutely normal though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm wondering if an x-ray, or something could show if there's some type of abnormality or even obstruction at the back of his mouth or in his throat?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoebe tends to eat one at a time of hers, but she’s small and they (Royal Canin Anallergenic) are reasonably big. No health problems with her eating as far as I’ve ever known. She does the same when pinching Daisy’s much smaller nibbies but does it faster. :devilcat2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am positive, if my cat Maggie was fed dry it would be one kibble at a time. She eats canned. Takes one bite,looks around,then another. 3 small meals in the morning. 5 minutes apart. Takes forever. My cat peaches would gobble everything up too fast. He does need to see a vet because of how he's eating with his jaw.if it's something he has never done before I would take him to the vet. Christmas is coming in a few weeks so it might be hard to make an appointment