Eating Machine on four legs!

cindy29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got our cat Sally from a cat rescue home when she was eight months old, but she's always asking for food, and eats like a scavenger.

She's very well fed by us, and was wondering if this could be due to the fact that she shared a cage with several other cats, and perhaps

they had to fight for their food. We.ve had her now for 4 months, and think she must know by now that nobody's going to steel her food. Any views on this?

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We got our cat Sally from a cat rescue home when she was eight months old, but she's always asking for food, and eats like a scavenger.

She's very well fed by us, and was wondering if this could be due to the fact that she shared a cage with several other cats, and perhaps

they had to fight for their food. We.ve had her now for 4 months, and think she must know by now that nobody's going to steel her food. Any views on this?
Hi Cindy, when Izzy came to her furrever home with me and the boys she was a wee little feral kitten. She would wait until the other kitties were eating to tuck into her food (they all get separate plates), keeping an eye on them to make sure she was good to go, and I place her plate further away from the boys. She eats very daintily, and takes her time. Once the boys are done, she'll go scavenge off their plates anything that is left over. This hasn't changed over the last almost five years. I've got to say that I need to start picking the boys plates up because she is getting a bit tubby. I always thought that with a raw diet she would regulate and her weight would be ideal for her, but that's not the case with my tubby little miss. I do feel that eating until each morsel is consumed is mostly due to her having to fight for food--and she's really tiny, so was probably having a time of it. Izzy is half the size of Abby and one-third the size of Maxie, so this might factor in too. I know Maxie with his Maine Coon-ness coming out eats triple+ what the others do, but he's not fat at all. He just requires more food, so he gets more meals per day.

Since your kitty is around a year old, it might be that she just needs more food as she is still somewhat of a kitten? Maybe she's not satiated by the food? What do you feed them/her?

Could just be her natural nature due to her situation when she was younger, but kinda sounds like she's not getting satisfied since she's still considered a "youngster." Is she overweight at all?

Hope this rambling made sense.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, well thanks for your reply , she's not over-weight.. we feed her on whisker's pouches Felix pouches and fresh fish. We also leave dried food out for our cats, as it's good for their teeth.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, well thanks for your reply , she's not over-weight.. we feed her on whisker's pouches Felix pouches and fresh fish. We also leave dried food out for our cats, as it's good for their teeth.
I am not trying to make you feel bad but a steady diet of fish, especially if it's tuna, or any fish really is not good for them.  Too much too often can lead to many illnesses.  As a treat once in awhile, I think it is fine and healthy for them... Maybe once a week at most but not over that. It is also addictive because it has such a strong flavor.  So it's hard to get them to stop wanting it if you get them used to it.  So be aware of this... Also, dried cat food because it's good for their teeth, is a marketing ploy... It really isn't.  So if it's high grade kibble, yes... But lower "WalMart brands" are not the best idea, they can lead to obesity and other health problems so only feed as instructed on any kibble.  I just wanted to help you out a little. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her on a high quality canned grain free diet. Some cats never lose their food anxiety, but some foods provide very little nutrition to cats, and so they are always hungry, simply because they are not getting the protein and other nutrients they need, from meat. Cats are obligate carnivores, and their bodies do not process grains or fruits and vegetables. They need food that contains real meat.

Fish is not good for cats. It is a high allergen, high in heavy metals, and linked to hyperthyroid disease and urinary tract disorders.

Dry food does not clean teeth. :) That would be like you eating croutons to clean your teeth. It may, in fact, cause even more dental problems, as kibble has crumbs and crumbs stick to teeth, between teeth and under the gum line.

Canned food containing identifiable proteins such as turkey, chicken, beef, and so on, with no grains and little or no vegetables, will go a long way toward helping her feel satisfied.

Congratulations on your new family member, and hurray for you for rescuing!

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
does your cat obssess about licking plastic?  i want to know why and if it is dangerous....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy29

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice, they say you learn something new every day. I didn't know that giving cats too much fish is bad for them.