Eating hair?!

allroundthesun

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 15 month old cat, Oliver, has taken up a very odd habit in the past week or so - eating clumps of cat hair.

I try to keep the place vacuumed, but it's hard to keep it 100% cat hair-free at all times with seven cats, so he will crawl under the dresser, or reach beneath the fridge, or find other creative ways to get his paws on hair I've missed or that's accumulated in the 12 hours since I've vacuumed.

WTHeck is he doing?! He prefers clumps, but will even eat individual pieces if he finds them, and he'll eat both his own and te other cats' hair. As a result, he's of course hacking up hairballs constantly (I'm talking 4-5 times a day).

This is a totally new behaviour, and while I'll take him back to the vet if it keeps up, he had a full exam about six weeks ago and was found to be in perfect health. He does NOT pull his hair out to eat it, he is still grooming himself normally, he only eats what he scavenges.

He does have FLUTD, but hasn't had an incident in months and is doing well on the veterinary diet he's eating to balance the PH in his urine; no recurrences since the diet change, and no symptoms at all that he's about to have an "episode", so I don't think it's about that.

Has/does anyone else's cat done/do this? If so, what did you do to stop it? I have been trying a firm "NO!" and a squirt from the water bottle, and obviously attempt to take the hair from him before he can eat it, but he often grabs it and runs somewhere I can't reach him.

Any ideas/suggestions/input/advice/whatever would be sooooo appreciated! TIA!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem with Jack, and it's horrible. I swiff every afternoon, l brush any hairs off their blankets, but he'll still manage to find a dust bunny somewhere to eat

It causes him to hack up more furballs, especially with the warm weather were having because their shedding more. I'm brushing them every day to try and keep it down as well, but other that doing what i'm doing l can't think of anything else?

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the club. Parker eats hair clumps, dust bunnies, fuzzies from blankets/clothing. I have yet to find a way to curb this behavior. We'll both spot something on the floor and it becomes a race to see who gets there first.

If I notice him eating stuff more than usual, I just give him some hairball goo.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its normal, I know of many cats that do this.

Wesley loves being groomed, but I have to hide the fur clumps that I get from the furminator as he will do anything to get at it and chew it.

My solution is to vacuum high traffic sections once a week with my big push pet vacuum (including attachment), and let my three Roombas vacuum the whole house twice a week. I also use an air purifier in each room, set to turbo when I'm not in them. Side benefit, is that I'm convinced this greatly improves air quality as those vacuums are ALWAYS full of dander/hair even though the two don't seem to shed excessively.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

We'll both spot something on the floor and it becomes a race to see who gets there first.
That's me and Jack!

Originally Posted by Ducman69

I have to hide the fur clumps that I get from the furminator as he will do anything to get at it and chew it.
Jack's eye's are like a kids at a candy store when he sees the fur from the brush and furminator!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Osiris does this as well and believe it or not, he doesn't cough up furballs!
It doesn't seem to harm him, so I just consider him my second vacuum.