Eating Habits

melontine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have four cats, I free-feed dry food and offer wet food once or twice a day.
It's pretty crazy as each cat has their own eating habits. I think I need to get on a schedule of some sort, some way to organize the chaos that is my house. What worked for us ten years ago doesn't necessarily work anymore.

April is weird, sometimes healthy, sometimes skinny. We have a hard to with her, she doesn't like poultry flavoured wet food but will eat bits or chicken or seafood flavours. She needs prescription food every now and then too. April is always outside, she doesn't want to come in, she eats her food at our doorstep. Except then of course, chickens have to come over and bully her. April is difficult.

Socks is easy, she eats pretty much everything. She gets a lot of exercises going outside and never really has any issues. Except now, she needs a pill two times a day and liquid pain killers three times. Thankfully she eats anything so it's easy to mix the meds up in her food.

Muffin is alright, she could lose a little bit of weight, but she's in a healthy range. Muffin is an indoor-only kitty. Muffin only eats dry food. She refused all wet food and all treats. Don't mess with her food. She knows what she wants.

Purrl is overweight. Like she's a chunky girl now, I don't know when this happened but it did and now she won't quit it. Purrl isn't allowed outside, though I know she'd love it if she could just sneak past us and out the door. She eats dry food and yells at everyone to give her more and to give her wet food too. Purrl is always the first to the food dish, though she only eats so much before leaving, I guess it's still too much. Purrl will not eat wet food bits, only pate will do.
She's the reason everyone might have to change. It's not good that she's overweight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Could more exercise help, along with possibly more wet food and less kibble? Many members have had their cats experience a gradual weight loss (it's very important to go slowly) by feeding canned food.

Do you have cat trees? Both upright and horizontal scratchers? Assuming she hasn't been very active, can you do things like put Purrl's food on stairs so she has to climb to get to it, etc to get her more active gradually, and then try something here below?

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

21 Best Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

Favorite Cat Toys

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise