Eating each other's food?

Sunnyryuji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Last month I brought a new female cat into our home, she is about a year old. I already had a male cat around 6 years old. The introductions have been slow going, but they are now at the point they can both roam around the apartment together. They are mostly staying out of each other's way but they are still starting each other down and will get into little spats.

Anyway, a big thing I noticed them doing is that when I open up the door to let the female (Fifi) out, they both immediately go for each other's food. Currently Fifi is eating dry food per the shelter's recommendation, and the male (Ryuji) is eating wet food as he has very little teeth and doesn't properly chew dry food. They do have a set feeding time but they are both slow eaters in that they will eat a little bit when the food is put down and then continue to eat it throughout the day.

I guess I'm wondering is there a way to stop them from eating the other's food? Or would it be smart to switch Fifi to wet food so it wouldn't matter as much if they ate each other's food? Sorry if I am ignorant in anything, this is my first time owning two cats. Thank you for any help.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am ignorant of any health consequences for the six year old eating dry food without chewing properly and cant address that (my guess would be that throwing up is the main issue, but maybe there are others). That said, if you can afford switching to all moist food there shouldn't be any other downside at all. Its supposed to be healthier for cats after all. And its just a lot easier if you don't have to worry about cats eating each others food. Now maybe one has or will develop a weight issue, and you will still have to worry about separate bowls/feedings, but with some cats that doesn't become a problem. I have a 1 year old and 5 year old that eat out of the same dish, taking turns nicely, and have done this with other cats in the past as well. When you can, its just so much easier. Some people on here have trained cats to eat from separate bowls and can give you guidance on that, but my advice is that if you can avoid the hassle, do it!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both cats can eat canned food. Is there a reason why the shelter recommended only dry food? If it's not for any health reason, it's perfectly ok to stop feeding the dry and feed only canned:agree: Canned is better for your cats' health in the long run.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sunnyryuji

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions, I'll start to switch her to wet food so they can share the food. Thank you so much!