Eating behavior.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Binx eats canned food in the morning but will not eat it for his second meal. He will only eat dry food for the second meal. Has anyone ever heard of this kind of peculiarity??

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats! If you prefer he eats more or only wet, I would offer him just a tiny bit of kibble for his second meal, wait an hour or two and then give him wet.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its probably the ritual of it. If you tried to serve dry in the morning, you'd likely have a problem as well. They will normally give up on rituals if you are stubborn and they get hungry enough, but it would have to be a consistent change.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could also have something to do with the timing of his meals, perhaps? Feeby doesn't eat dry, but I have noticed that some canned foods that she seems to eat pretty well in the AM are ones that she might appear a bit less enthusiastic about if fed to her later in the day. I surmise this to be because she is hungrier in the morning and will accept most foods more easily then.

I suspect your cat really likes dry food better. If you would prefer that he eats more canned than dry, you could try mixing just a little bit of canned into the dry for his dinner meal and see if he will still eat it that way. Over time, you can gradually add more canned and less dry to see how far you can take it before he won't eat the mixture any better than he is currently eating a canned meal at dinner (or, by chance, he may learn to accept the wet food that way).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have mixed canned in with the dry and he eats some but not heartily. If I remove it and give him all dry, he gobbles it.