Easy DIY cat fountain?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran into this video on YouTube, about making a fountain for hummingbirds, and for some reason it immediately made me think of cat fountains:

For a link to buy the pump she's using, click the "Watch on YouTube" button.

Now, I have no experience with this. What do you guys think? Are there problems that are likely to arise that I haven't thought of?

Margret

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pretty neat but I think cats could easily tip it over. I think I’m gonna try it out for my hummingbird outside.
thanks for the share.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can bear her voice for more than 1 minute, (is she high or something?) video is a bit misleading. It says it requires no power but it actually does. You need to plug the USB into a power brick or something.

I would not recommend leaving a laptop laying outside where it could be exposed to moisture nor on the floor where it could be kicked or stepped on. That leave a power brick as the only other option.

The pump also looks like it wouldn't be that durable and from China who knows if it's pcb/bpa/lead free or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretty neat but I think cats could easily tip it over. I think I’m gonna try it out for my hummingbird outside.
thanks for the share.
Oh, I never even considered going all the way, with the straw and frog; I was just thinking of putting the pump in a water bowl to keep the water moving.

If you're seriously interested in using it for hummingbirds, check out her other videos. She has several that use a solar powered pump, which would be better for outside.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The video is only misleading if you haven't seen the other videos on her channel. If you have it's obvious that she's talking about it not needing solar power.

I would not recommend leaving a laptop laying outside where it could be exposed to moisture nor on the floor where it could be kicked or stepped on. That leave a power brick as the only other option.
I would never even consider attaching a water pump to a computer. :fear: Accident waiting to happen, plus which I have other things I want to do with my laptop. I could see either using power bricks with it or plugging it into a phone charger. And the reason I was looking at this water pump rather than the solar powered pumps she uses in her other hummingbird fountain videos is that it's more appropriate for inside.

The pump also looks like it wouldn't be that durable and from China who knows if it's pcb/bpa/lead free or not.
That's a very good point. I can think of a couple places where I might want to use a cheap water pump from China, but you're right - Jasmine's water bowl isn't one of them.

Margret

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
With the cheap China made plastics you never really know. Last thing I would want is lead or some other chemical leeching into my pet's water.